Battery door problem, possible crash?

Reaction score
A friend of mine filming in France had his battery door open in flight. Conditions were windy with gusts and were causing his Phantom to pitch and roll quite a bit. Although the battery only came part way out before landing, It fell out completely as he picked up his Phantom. Obviously a battery falling out in flight would be disastrous.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what mods did you make (if any) to your Phantom?

I havent had it happen but have added a velcro or to be exact a 3M dual lock tape safety strap that goes over the door just for added safety. I like to push the limits of my setup so I also make sure I do all I possibly can to avoid having any issues and a battery coming out in flight I consider a big possible issue. :lol:

Martcerv:

I think what you have done is prudent. I just got my Phantom yesterday and made my first flight today. The first thought I had when I saw the battery compartment clasp was that it needed a backup of some kind for safety's sake. If you get a chance, post a pix of your fix! I'm sure folks would benefit.

PF

Marty, I just made a quick fix velcro safety strap and tested it with a battery in and door unlatched with a series of violent vertical (as hard as I could) shakes and the battery was still contained. This is now a permanent mod and have forwarded pics etc to my friend who is traveling in France. He will mod his Phantoms as well

Thanks

A quick simple fix that works like a champ...notice the partially open battery door. This is as far as it gets

How about replacig to the door with Velcro altogether ? Pesky door is annoying when you had wires for gimbal or FPV

Gnapoleon said:
How about replacig to the door with Velcro altogether ? Pesky door is annoying when you had wires for gimbal or FPV

You could do that of course, but that is letting anything from bugs to weeds to enter the "guts" of the Phanton. Remember when flying forward, that open area might act like a ram intake LOL. Notice in my pic I have external wires coming off the battery to a wye as well as balance port wires coming out the opposite side of the door.

I will take pics later and out them up, mine is going across the other way across the front hooked to hooked to the sides rather then top and bottom but basically its the same concept.

Taking the door off I tried but I think this way the open door creates more drag. The wind will be coming into the door with no way of getting out the other side. Using larger batteries makes it a bit trickier to shut the door and this made it more likely to pop open I thought and the reason I use this velcro method for extra safety.

I always give my battery door a little tug just to be sure it's closed, and have never experienced a pop-out during flight, even when using 3rd party batteries that barely fit. But yah,. if you're planning to flying crazy rough winds,. couldn't hurt to add some velcro

justsomeguy said:
fizzviic said:
You could do that of course, but that is letting anything from bugs to weeds to enter the "guts" of the Phanton. Remember when flying forward, that open area might act like a ram intake LOL.

I haven't had a battery door for months. It's no big deal.

There isnt heaps of space for air to come in I guess with the battery filling the gap quite well, I do prefer to have the door in if I can.

Here is an older pic showing an earlier version of my extra strap. Its a custom made strap with 3M dual lock tape on both ends of some electrical tape. I can use this with or without the door and have a larger full door seal if not using the door that worked well but looked worse and allowed some crap to get inside which the door stops.

tbiz.jpg

miskatonic said:

They're great and I bought one but I wish I could modify the file and print it myself, I need to make a few improvements.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4