Battery discharging

Reaction score
Hey all

Charged up to 100% 2 days ago. Couldn't fly because of the weather. And as i see same will happen for next 1 week.

How should i discharge it? And what level to? 3 leds?

How long does it take to discharge by turning on without props?

Reactions: rene van der meer
Your batteries will automatically start discharging to a safe level after 10 days (by default). That 10-day setting can be decreased in the DJI GO app. The discharge process takes between 1-2 days to complete. If you press the battery button, that 10-day waiting period will be reset.

Your batteries will automatically start discharging to a safe level after 10 days (by default). That 10-day setting can be decreased in the DJI GO app. The discharge process takes between 1-2 days to complete. If you press the battery button, that 10-day waiting period will be reset.
So you suggest i just leave it like it is?

And what if when it starts discharging after 10 days, i will need to fly on 11th? Do i somehow stop discharge process?

Be careful if you have more than one battery if you change the default discharge time. I set mine to discharge in 3 days after finishing a flight on one battery, then inserted another battery and flew around for a few more minutes. When I went to check the discharge time when I had finished flying for the day,the DJI said 10 days to discharge. I assumed the change never stuck. A week later I found that one battery had self discharged after 3 days as requested, and the second battery didn't. You have to set it for every battery. Maybe that is why some people get caught thinking they have fully charged batteries.

Another good option is to buy one of those halogen discharging lights from ebay for the P3. You plug it into the battery, turn the battery on and it will discharge the batter to about 40%. If you push the switch it will continue to discharge to around 20%.

Plus, it lights up your whole house!

Reactions: Wacker2611
Another good option is to buy one of those halogen discharging lights from ebay for the P3. You plug it into the battery, turn the battery on and it will discharge the batter to about 40%. If you push the switch it will continue to discharge to around 20%.

Plus, it lights up your whole house!
I use those a lot, superb bit of kit. Only thing is though is that the bulb gets unbelievably hot so don't leave it in contact with anything flammable!

Do they may be make a LED discharging light instead? LED light is more efficient, so it may be slower to discharge but it gives longer light to the room.

So you suggest i just leave it like it is?
Yes.

And what if when it starts discharging after 10 days, i will need to fly on 11th? Do i somehow stop discharge process?
The discharge process will stop when you press the button on the battery. It's good practice to charge your batteries before every flight though -- even if they are mostly charged.

Depending on firmware there has been a lot of issues reported with batteries in the discharge state not giving a correct status when airborne and then suddenly giving critical battery voltage resulting in crashing.

SO before you fly ensure you charge fully.

Another good option is to buy one of those halogen discharging lights from ebay for the P3.
I have this bulb battery discharger and it definitely works. It sure does get extremely hot though -- even after only running for a few seconds. You can discharge the battery down to a safe storage level or do a deep discharge. I like this discharger because it plays a sound when the discharge process has completed. The old version I had for my P2V+ just shut off when it was finished.

There is another type of battery discharger that runs a fan instead of lighting a bulb -- like this one. If anyone is concerned about the heat of the bulb, then it might be a better option.

For example in 9 days, before discharging has started. What do i do? I just go for flying? Or do i do anything specific, if my battery was idle on 100% for 9 days?

It's best practice to always charge your batteries completely before flying. But, if you press the battery button and all lights are solid, then the battery nearly topped off already.

It's best practice to always charge your batteries completely before flying. But, if you press the battery button and all lights are solid, then the battery nearly topped off already.
I see. So don't you think it will be better if i lift bird up indoors for couple of minutes, so it goes down to 65% and leave it like this?

Why not just let the battery auto discharge? That process is automatic and it works very well.

Yes but what if i decided to use it on 9th day?

I would top it off to be sure. That being said, I've gone a week before without topping and had no issues.

Yes but what if i decided to use it on 9th day?
You're overthinking this. Just charge your batteries every time before you fly and Bob is your uncle ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik