Battery Discharge

Li-Po batteries can be damaged by storing them fully charged for long periods of time.

I have a stupid question.

What is the point of discharging?

Why is it needed?
The principal intent is to get ext
I have a stupid question.

What is the point of discharging?

Why is it needed?
The intent of discharging to, and storing at, somewhere close to 50% SOC is obtain maximum service life and performance from the pack. Safety is also a consideration. The performance characteristics of LiPO chemistry are well documented. Keeping a pack at or close to 100% SOC has been demonstrated to advance the onset of reduced usable capacity, increased internal resistance of the cells and cell imbalance. It is also well established that LiPO cells are less stable while at maximum terminal voltage (fully charged) in which state they are susceptible to puffing and catching fire,

FYI, if you're checking them by pressing the battery power button, the discharge process will stop and it won't restart for 3 additional days (per your selected setting).
I have a rather unique problem. I take canoe treks way up in Northern Canada. I will be going up this summer for a couple of weeks and bringing my new Phantom 4 Pro. I want to be able to use my batteries after longer than 10 days of storage, the maximum the software allows before automatic discharging. DJI is telling me in their chat room that there is now way of going past the 10 days. Will your method work? In other words, if I depress the power button on day 10, can I get it to cycle for another 10 days? I will simply have no way of charging the batteries when I am up there and I have 4 of them.

Yes, the 10-day counter will be reset each time you press the battery button.

Yes, the 10-day counter will be reset each time you press the battery button.
Thank you for that. Just one final thing. So do you have to wait for it to start discharging to push the button or will pushing it on day 9 add another 10 days if that is what your setting is?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you for that. Just one final thing. So do you have to wait for it to start discharging to push the button or will pushing it on day 9 add another 10 days if that is what your setting is?
Pushing the button will restart the countdown timer. If you have it set for 10 days and you push it after 4 days, then it will be 10 days from that point in time that the discharge will begin. If you push it after one day, then it will be 10 days from that point in time that the discharge will begin. If you push it at 9-1/2 days, then it will be 10 days from that point in time that the discharge will begin. etc, etc...

On the subject of battery discharge, I know mine are set for 10 days as well. I came home after being away for 11 days and noticed none of them had any discharge. Thoughts anyone's?

I know mine are set for 10 days as well. I came home after being away for 11 days and noticed none of them had any discharge.
That means your batteries would have started to auto discharge 10 days after they were last used and/or the battery button was pressed. It'll take an additional 2-3 days beyond that 10th day to auto discharge the battery down to the storage level if it's fully charged.

That means your batteries would have started to auto discharge 10 days after they were last used and/or the battery button was pressed. It'll take an additional 2-3 days beyond that 10th day to auto discharge the battery down to the storage level if it's fully charged.
Great Thankyou. I'm assuming from what you're saying is that it's a slow 2-3 day process after that 10th day.

Reactions: rlphoto69
I will be taking my aircraft as onboard flight luggage, I know that the battery should be fully discharged. I have also heard that one should not over discharge (?) The flights will take over 20 some hours, will this length of time fully discharged damage the battery ?
Thanks.

Reactions: JWH
I will be taking my aircraft as onboard flight luggage, I know that the battery should be fully discharged.
The battery should not be fully discharged. You don't have to discharge it at all before flying on a plane.

I thought I read a DJI post that on flights the battery should be discharged. I have multiple flights, all the airlines have allowed me to bring the aircraft onboard except one Corsica Air. I sent them all the specs, and the MDS sheets when requested, then they denied me permission, saying it should be sent cargo. I requested what their concern might be, and asked for regulation that disallowed me. They quoted IATA! Which I checked, found the ref. That covered the battery, and found that I met criteria to have the battery as onboard luggage. I replied to them showing the reg. And requested that they review and reconsider. That was 10 days ago, still no reply.

Going to fly next week first time with Delta. Does anyone know if the batteries have to be wrapped in plastic and is there anything else I should know. Thinking of getting those fire retardant bags for the batteries.

The battery terminals need to be covered. You can put your batteries in a case (with individual battery slots), put a piece of tape over the battery terminals, put them in a LiPo bag, or use a P4 battery cover (like this one).

Reactions: rlphoto69

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj