Battery discharge %

Reaction score
I just realised my oldest battery just hit 23 charge cycles.
What is the current (official) consensus on the percentage to discharge to to condition the cells?
And unofficially, is it worth it?

I have 56 charges on mine don't due a thing with it dji doesn't suggest any discharge to to condition the cells

The beta engineers told our team 2% was the new target.

I have 56 charges on mine don't due a thing with it dji doesn't suggest any discharge to to condition the cells
Yes they do.....DJI say after every 20 charge cycles to run the battery down to 8% and then fully charge again.

where that at in the manual like to look it up

Yes they do.....DJI say after every 20 charge cycles to run the battery down to 8% and then fully charge again.

That info's got mold on it. Outdated....

Discharge to 4 to 8% should be good enough, going below is risky.

This is not the P2V+ forum. We are referencing DJI Smart Batteries.
Interesting remark, thank you so much.

I won't take risk to discharge down to 2% based on reading on DJI Go App. For me 4% is good enough, I don't care even if the info got mold on it (per your words :) ). Its very difficult to judge the remaining charge on batteries and its not worth taking risk based on Go App display and I don't have sophisticated equipment to measure it accurately.

Like to have more info on who are the beta testers and how are they testing it?

Reactions: meissner58
Interesting remark, thank you so much.

I won't take risk to discharge down to 2% based on reading on DJI Go App. For me 4% is good enough, I don't care even if the info got mold on it (per your words :) ). Its very difficult to judge the remaining charge on batteries and its not worth taking risk based on Go App display and I don't have sophisticated equipment to measure it accurately.

Like to have more info on who are the beta testers and how are they testing it?

There are numerous beta testers. And in my words, the testers are based on categories. As in, there are groups that only test using android devices, then different groups who only test with ios devices, and then groups solely based on each model, and finally some are based on location/region. Every now and then you might intermix with a different group, as in a App group working with a Firmware group on the same project.

As for the battery testing, all that testing was exhausted last fall around the FW 1.5.3 to 1.5.7 time frame.

guys commenting about old info...both links I in my earlier post say PHANTOM 3 INTELLIGENT BATTERY all over the top. not that old

Seriously though...how low do you guys let your TX battery go?

Last edited:
Seriously though...how low do you guys let your TX battery go?
I doubt that anyone here lets their cellphone battery get down to any arbitrary percentage to "recondition" the battery. The transmitter is not much different. I fly a lot, and whenever I have been out flying I recharge everything, including my transmitters and iPad, back to full charge.

Thanks people. I think I'll wind it down to maybe 5% to be on the safe side. I rarely get down past 40% during most flights so I think it may be prudent.

In summer I'll be driving around Spain and Portugal, where temperatures can hit the high 30s Celsius. My concern is the intelligent batteries I will have in the car. I will have them discharged to around 30%.

Normally they would be stored in slots in my backpack and the car will have AC on, however when parked and when I cannot remove the batteries from the car, the temperature will naturally rise.

There's a lot on batteries at low temperatures, but don't seem to find much on high temperatures.

Should I store them separately in LiPo bags or what? Any suggestions, ideas, please?

DJI have this to say:

1. Do NOT leave the batteries inside of a vehicle on hot days. The ideal storage temperature is 22°C-28°C.

Dont leave car in the sun, park in shade.
Inside the car it could get too 60 deg or more if left in sun.

Put them in a small cool box or bag.

Reactions: alokbhargava
I just realised my oldest battery just hit 23 charge cycles.
What is the current (official) consensus on the percentage to discharge to to condition the cells?
And unofficially, is it worth it?

From P3A user manual v1.6 (they should all be same for batterys)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 21
How to discharge your Intelligent Flight Battery:

Slow : Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Phantom 3 Advanced’s Battery Compartment
and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no
longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.

Rapid : Fly the Phantom 3 Advanced outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until
the battery can no longer be turned on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hover mine down to 15 -20%
Bring in. Remove battery and let everything cool for 1/2 hour.
Then take props off. Put on table and leave on until I see 7%.
The next time I might try leaving until it shuts off.

I believe a slower drop will produce a more uniform voltage across the cells.

Some people suggest leaving a fan blowing at the bird for cooling.

Dont leave car in the sun, park in shade.
Inside the car it could get too 60 deg or more if left in sun.

Put them in a small cool box or bag.
If the car windows are closed and parked in sun, internal temperature goes unbelievably high. Temp in the trunk may not rise so sharply but yes it's a great risk to leave lipos in car.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj