Battery Discharge Curves

Fly Dawg

"Electricity is really just organized lightning"
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those of you who do longer distance flying ( I generally do 1/4 to 1/2 mile or less), I was curious if anyone has put together any battery power curves. Primarily I am curious as to the linearity of the discharge. I realize every battery will be very slightly different, but for the sake of this question, use the following assumptions.
Lets, assume that you are flying a 1.5 mile flight with no wind and in perfect conditions. Your target is at the end
of that 1.5 mile flight. No stop's just a fly over and return. That's a 3 mile flight total. You start with 100% battery.
The real question is, also assuming you maintain a constant speed and altitude and you are using the camera without any gimbal adjustments during the flight does the battery power percentage drop faster from 100% to 50%, or does this drop faster ( Time wise) from 50% to lets say 25%). This can be a crucial point for the return flight back, to avoid a critical battery warning and auto land. Just curious to know if anyone has looked in to the power curve. Linear? Or Non-Linear?

Hey fly dawg,
I'm kinda new to the forum but I've been playing around with the phantom series for awhile (and some custom builds) and honestly my p3p seems pretty consistent but I will say 50%-25% seems less and 25%-0% is even more but that could be cause I'm afraid it's going to fall out of the sky!! lol... But honesty my p2v+ I can clearly notice it especially when the batteries have some miles on the them (3s) and I think when dji went to 4s it helped with consistency!! Now I have a 180mm FPV racer on 4s and it seems like when I get to 45%-40%?its not as snappy and goes to 30% fast but that's apples and oranges.. What I will do is take my p3p and do some runs with a lap timer and hit it at 20% increments, that I think will give us an answer!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't forget the smart battery will change that time alot

Hey fly dawg,
I'm kinda new to the forum but I've been playing around with the phantom series for awhile (and some custom builds) and honestly my p3p seems pretty consistent but I will say 50%-25% seems less and 25%-0% is even more but that could be cause I'm afraid it's going to fall out of the sky!! lol... But honesty my p2v+ I can clearly notice it especially when the batteries have some miles on the them (3s) and I think when dji went to 4s it helped with consistency!! Now I have a 180mm FPV racer on 4s and it seems like when I get to 45%-40%?its not as snappy and goes to 30% fast but that's apples and oranges.. What I will do is take my p3p and do some runs with a lap timer and hit it at 20% increments, that I think will give us an answer!

Quick runs, will give you some sort of information, but what I am looking at is just a long distance run for consistency. Runs will vary speed and create extra force on the Aircraft's frame, which will in turn change the "normal" for lack of a better term battery performance. You have to have a baseline with as few variable's as possible to get an idea, of what the performance actually is. And you can't include the other variable's such as wind, humidity and so forth. Those will come later in testing. I guess I spent too much time in Research and Development, and sometimes I just revert to that old habit, but it does prove to be worth while to start with the lesser of any variables. Sorry that was long winded. I was more curious if anyone else had already done such similar testing, that's really all this was about and if they had any "conclusions". But please proceed with that if you would like. Might be interesting to see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers