Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery Deep Discharge Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryDZ, Nov 15, 2014.

1. GaryDZ

I know that every 20 or so cycles (some say 10) you should discharge the battery to 8 percent. I read in one of these threads that you could just remove the props and leave the Phantom on overnight. The user's manual states "Users should discharge the battery until there is less than 8% power left or until the battery can no longer be turned on".

If you do that will it auto shut-off at 8 percent? I understand that completely discharging the battery can kill it.

2. 4wd

4wd

I'm not keen on leaving it standing for hours turned on as it seems a good way to overheat internal components.
    Better run it down as low as possible by hovering near ground.
    If you maintain height be partly throttling up you should be able to get it down below 10%.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Leave the props on, strap the landing skids down and try to fly gently.
    Runs the battery down a lot faster than idling, which takes ages.

4. morph000

2 male spade terminals and 2 x 22 ohm 10w wire wound resistors wired in parallel (as power dissipation is a tad higher than 10W) is all you need.
    Just plug it in to the battery and it'll discharge through the resistors happily then turn off automatically. :mrgreen:

5. Pacific Barbarian

With the Phantom landed, you can use the right stick and exert maximum position in any direction, and the Phantom will not tip over. Also a nice way to listen to motors individually, to hear for irregularities. To get maximum speed out of a specific motor, push to the 4 corners.

This will also run the battery down faster, no need to strap it down. All will be good, as long as you do not touch the left stick! :mrgreen:

6. GaryDZ

Thanks all. I am opting for strapping it down and "flying" gently. I will also try that right stick technique to listen to the motors.