Battery Charging

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I'm having an issue with the P3 P battery and charging. When I plug it in it will start to charge for around 5 seconds then begin to blink a green led indefinitely and not charge.

What is wrong? I read online that it might
Be a temperature issue but the battery and charger feel cool to me.

Thanks!

I had that problem once, ambient temp was about 90 and after sitting for about 3 hrs it charged..internal temp must have been high even tho it felt cool to touch

I had that problem once, ambient temp was about 90 and after sitting for about 3 hrs it charged..internal temp must have been high even tho it felt cool to touch

Makes sense it's over 100 F in the area I'm flying it. I will let it cool and give it a try.

I believe I read that in similar situations where the battery was not entering charge mode that the thing to do is to turn the battery on and then connect the charger.

You might give that a try after the battery cools down.

:harry

I have question, according to DJI manual :
"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the
battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the
maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life."

Well, I spoke to some RC veterans, read some forum posts - they said that discharging battery to very low level could do more harm than good... They said that it's good not to discharge battery bellow 30% at all.....

So... what do you think?

I have question, according to DJI manual :
"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the
battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the
maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life."

Well, I spoke to some RC veterans, read some forum posts - they said that discharging battery to very low level could do more harm than good... They said that it's good not to discharge battery bellow 30% at all.....

So... what do you think?
The RC vets are right-- Some of these guys are flying aircraft costing 5K to 10K and those big 6 cell batteries are very expensive. I have ruined a couple of batteries for my planes myself by not watching the battery condition and getting them on the ground soon enough.

I set my low battery warning at 20% and try to land by the time it hits 30% so as not to get that low battery warning. That gives a 10 percent safety factor in case you can't get it on the ground at 30%. Never go below 20% if you can absolutely help it. You will only have a couple of minutes at 30 % to land or you will get the low battery warning. If you hit 20% you only have about a minute before it gets to 10% , the P3 will start to land whenever it senses the battery level is to low to advance to home.

You cant go wrong by practicing what the pro RC stunt pilots do.

I left the battery cool and it took a charge just fine. In regarding to cycling the battery; I have 15 cycles at 100% health.

I ran the battery down to 10 percent the first few times and now try to land by 30%.

Reactions: bobmyers
I left the battery cool and it took a charge just fine. In regarding to cycling the battery; I have 15 cycles at 100% health.

I ran the battery down to 10 percent the first few times and now try to land by 30%.
You should be good-- just check the cell balance when you are flying. There should not be more that .03 difference in any cell as the cells should discharge equally to maintain battery integrity.

Although I do respect the RC guys expertise these are not your father's batteries this is a whole new generation of smart technologies. Do you realize that some firmware updates also update the batteries, that these batteries balance themselves, that they auto discharge if left charged over 10 days..who really knows the long-term care? Since DJI can pull every piece of data from my aircraft including what I had for lunch...I'm following the manufactures recommendations for warranty purposes. IMHO

Although I do respect the RC guys expertise these are not your father's batteries this is a whole new generation of smart technologies. Do you realize that some firmware updates also update the batteries, that these batteries balance themselves, that they auto discharge if left charged over 10 days..who really knows the long-term care? Since DJI can pull every piece of data from my aircraft including what I had for lunch...I'm following the manufactures recommendations for warranty purposes. IMHO
It is opinion -- some experience opinion and some engineering theory and opinion-- Since the chemistry is new and there is not benchmark-- only time will tell. I will stay on the safe side-- because there, there is a good chance that I wont destroy a cell and trash the battery-- at 8%, that is a very iffy theory IMHO.:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31