Battery Charging

Reaction score
I understand that for storage, batteries should be charged to around 40 or 50 percent. When I fly I sometimes finish a flight with about 25 to 30 percent of power left on the battery. Is it ok to leave it at this level for a period of time before the next charge and flight. How do we define storage? Is 2,3 or 4 weeks between flights considered to be storage time and therefore you should top up your batteries after your last flight or is safe to leave the battery at the level your previous flight finished. Thanks

When I fly I sometimes finish a flight with about 25 to 30 percent of power left on the battery. Is it ok to leave it at this level for a period of time before the next charge and flight.
That would be fine if the batteries do not drop much below 30% before your next flight. See more details in this post about maintaining the battery level when your batteries are not in use (in "storage").

Reactions: Numone
Like ms said above, storage really has no time constraint. It's about monitoring voltage or 'state of charge' level. Self-discharge is typically extremely low/slow and I have had batteries sit at ~40% for about two months with no issues. If your worried just check levels frequently by pushing power button as you require.

Reactions: Numone
Get yourself the dji charging hub and set to storage charge. I got one as soon as they came out, it makes it easy to set storage values for 3 batteries at the same time. 3 of my 4 batteries are 13 months old and have around 60 cycles, all 4 LEDs' still light up for my battery life indicator. I get the same flight time as I did a year ago. Storage charged in my case and top up to 100% on fly day, if I don't use it that day I will leave it charged if I am going to fly in the next few days, if not it's just a good reason to fly my remaining batteries down to 50%. I use this reason for my wife when she needs me to do something, I tell her "babe I can't leave these batteries fully charged, I just HAVE to bring them down to 50%, I will be there soon OK.;) This is for a P4, I don't know if P3 has the charging hub.

Last edited:
In case the OP is unaware...
the batteries have a self-discharge-to storage-level feature built in. It can be set for 2-10 after last activation and takes ~48 hrs.

That would be fine if the batteries do not drop much below 30% before your next flight. See more details in this post about maintaining the battery level when your batteries are not in use (in "storage").

I agree with this advice. I might add that I'm somewhat phobic about discharging my batteries to too-low a level. But I have also left a 40 - 50% battery (in fact, several of them) in my hardcase for maybe five or six months with no apparent damage.

Also, check your manual, help info, wherever, and read the info about "self discharging" and storage. The intelligent flight battery (DJI's term, not mine) can be automatically, slowly discharged to a certain level over a certain period of time. Compared to the LiPo batteries I used for fixed-wing aircraft, this feature is absolutely awesome. It comes within a gnat's a$$ of put-em-on-the-self-and-forget-em! Not totally, but you know what I mean!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Many thanks for that. The chart is a great help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31