Battery charger

Reaction score
Can the DJI 120V charger be plugged into a vehicle inverter (the ones that plug into the 12 volt socket)... I'm talking a cheap inverter (not true sine wave). Years ago I used to plug my drill charger into one but it ruined the batteries, so I'm wary to take a chance with my DJI Intelligent Batteries.

Reactions: Kootenay
Hi Kootenay
My understanding is that no inverters give out a true sine wave, the output is generally a chopped waveform which is smoothed out by some large capacitors. The number of "steps" present in the chopped wave form, is probably dependant on the amount you pay for the inverter, ie cheap not many steps, expensive many more steps.
If you are using the inverter on a load like a squirrel cage AC motor some of the "spikes" present in the chopped wave form will be dissipated by the load due to the inductive reactance of the circuit. However the DJI charger I believe is a "Switch Mode Power Supply" giving an output voltage around 12.4 VDC, It will have been designed to connect to a clean AC supply voltage, so at the input stage there will not be any heavy inductors ( like transformers etc) or devices capable of handling "Spikes" from a cheap inverter, which may damage the circuit of a switch mode power supply, I would not connect my Charger to a cheap inverter for those reasons.
So that is my simple explanation, I'm sure some guys with a masters in AC circuit design may well pull my explanation to pieces, but quite simply don't do it.. :)
Regards
Waylander

Reactions: Kootenay
Hi again
msinger lisst some good examples of devices which others have successfully used, the DJI one is a no brainer, I use a Turnigy Accucel 600
(link HobbyKing Forums - Turnigy Accucel-6 Manual) when I'm in the field to charge up from the car battery, works OK for me.. :)
Regards
Waylander

Most decent regulated power inverters are good. You need one to carry at least the same or higher wattage than the battery pulls. Most 150 watt or higher should do the trick.

Thanks for your help everyone. I just ordered the BTG Car Charger from Amazon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4