Battery charge time

Reaction score
So first of all, exactly how long should it take to fully charge the batteries?
Second, I assume it's a bad idea to, for example, just let it charge all night?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Around an hour to charge. I leave them over night sometimes. I am pretty sure you aren't suppose to do that. I usually leave them though and as soon as I see its done charging I take it off. I have 4 batteries so sometimes it comes to that.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

About 80 minutes from %10 battery. They are intelligent batteries, so theoretically you can leave it on all night. As it will shut off when fully charged. Now here is where we will get all the different opinions as to safety. Lipos are volatile batteries and can burst into flames, so I am told every time this subject comes up! Yes it is recommended that you always be around and aware when charging your Lipo batteries. I plug mine in when I'm around and awake but I also have had for of them charging overnight on separate chargers while I slept. I also ride my bike at 120+ mph, scuba dive with sharks and apparently get on people's nerves on forums!!

So first of all, exactly how long should it take to fully charge the batteries?
Second, I assume it's a bad idea to, for example, just let it charge all night?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I bought the DJI 4 port "block" charger, which DJI says is safe for over-night charging.. But I use the stock charger when I know I am going to be close by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ALL lipos should be respected.

The DJI battery makes no difference that it has 'intelligent board' - that does not make it 'safer'.

I would be surprised if DJI actually state leaving battery's charging overnight .... that would be against all advice from battery manufacturers..... and lead DJI into possible legal matters if a battery did cause a fire.

Some info :

The charge time of a DJI battery does not very much when comparing similar states each charge. Because the board shuts off at set 17.4v .... it does not enter prolonged balancing mode like a normal lipo charger. The DJI charger is only a regulated 17.4v power brick. It relies on the board fitted to the battery.
A normal lipo and charger goes through two stages - general charge of all cells and then balancing out of cells at top end .... this balancing time varies as battery ages and can with old battery's exceed max time allowed on charger.
The other factor of course is that a normal lipo charger defaults to cut out if it detects any problem or wrong setting. But a DJI charger has no such default and will continue to deliver power regardless. This is one of the reasons I prefer to use a lipo charger for my DJI battery's .... basically a double safety factor.

Lipo's deserve respect ... what we use in our hobby are foil wrapped versions - without the hard safety case that phones / computers etc, have ......

If you ever see a lipo go 'bad' - you will understand the warnings against charging unattended.

Nigel

Last edited:
If i charge any lipo then i have a look for it....and the battery stands on a fire proofed place. If all LED´s switched off then i unplug the charger from the battery and from the power plug.

I bought the DJI 4 port "block" charger, which DJI says is safe for over-night charging.. But I use the stock charger when I know I am going to be close by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am really interested in this 'safe for overnight charging' .... can you provide a link to where DJI says this ?

I've searched DJI and their manuals and cannot find any mention ...

It is a point that because of LiPo's capability if things go wrong - is important in my view.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20