Battery Care?

Reaction score
Hi.

I have been reading a lot if information w.r.t. to care of LIPO Batteries. In the DJI Battery guide ...is states that if the battery is not used for more than ten days ... discharge to 40%-65%.

At the same time I am reading about deep cycling every 20 cycles .. taking the battery down to 8% and then charging(I still do not know what that is because it is not flights or how many times we plug in the charger) ... folks talk a lot about this deep cycling and I cannot find it in the DJI Battery manual at all????

Can anyone assist me with this. Clearly, I don't want to do something, not suggested by DJI but at the same time ... pilots clearly more experienced than I am are saying other things.

Much Obliged.

In the DJI Battery guide ...is states that if the battery is not used for more than ten days ... discharge to 40%-65%.
This is an automatic process. As long as you don't press the battery button, the battery will start discharging after it has not been used for the number of days set here in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

After the discharge process starts, it'll take about two additional days for the battery to discharge down to 65%.

Note: The above setting needs to be set in DJI GO while each battery is installed and your Phantom is connected to DJI GO. It'll also need to be reset after installing new firmware.

folks talk a lot about this deep cycling and I cannot find it in the DJI Battery manual at all?
DJI removed this recommendation from all of their manuals. You don't need to do this unless the battery cells are really out of balance.

Reactions: Hilon
This is an automatic process. As long as you don't press the battery button, the battery will start discharging after it has not been used for the number of days set here in DJI GO:

View attachment 64579

After the discharge process starts, it'll take about two additional days for the battery to discharge down to 65%.

Note: The above setting needs to be set in DJI GO while each battery is installed and your Phantom is connected to DJI GO. It'll also need to be reset after installing new firmware.

DJI removed this recommendation from all of their manuals. You don't need to do this unless the battery cells are really out of balance.

Cheers ... Thanks for that .. just one question. I fly or will at least every Tuesday on my off day. Lets say, I fly the batteries down to 10% ... do I leave them there till the next Monday night and charge right up?

Let's say that I intend going out on the Tuesday and I can't fly, due to the weather .. can I 'tell' the battery to discharge over the next 3 days' ... or should I let it discharge 'normally' over the next 7 days.

Thanks.

Lets say, I fly the batteries down to 10% ... do I leave them there till the next Monday night and charge right up?
The batteries will last longer if you store them between 30%-65% charged. So, it would be best to charge them up until at least the second light starts blinking.

Let's say that I intend going out on the Tuesday and I can't fly, due to the weather .. can I 'tell' the battery to discharge over the next 3 days'
No. But, you could set the above setting to 2 days. That would be a good setting to use since you usually only fly once per week.

The batteries will last longer if you store them between 30%-65% charged. So, it would be best to charge them up until at least the second light starts blinking.

No. But, you could set the above setting to 2 days. That would be a good setting to use since you usually only fly once per week.

Brilliant .... thanks

The removed the information on when to take it down to 8% but they left this in the manual:

upload_2016-9-12_5-27-52.png

It does not make much sense to explain how to discharge a battery and not mention _when_ to do this. Also, why wait until cells are out of balance when you can avoid this by discharging every 20 cycles or so. I'd say it's not important to do it every 20 cycles but I'd recommend doing it every so often.

The removed the information on when to take it down to 8% but they left this in the manual:

View attachment 64581

It does not make much sense to explain how to discharge a battery and not mention _when_ to do this. Also, why wait until cells are out of balance when you can avoid this by discharging every 20 cycles or so. I'd say it's not important to do it every 20 cycles but I'd recommend doing it every so often.

Thanks for this ...

There has been much debate here about deep discharging the batts. You can read the thread below then decide for yourself either to do it or not. Yes, DJI no longer mentions the deep discharge procedure in their latest manuals. There must be good reason why.

Battery

There has been much debate here about deep discharging the batts. You can read the thread below then decide for yourself either to do it or not. Yes, DJI no longer mentions the deep discharge procedure in their latest manuals. There must be good reason why.

Battery
Here is my anecdotal story about battery charging.
  • Battery age: 1.4 years
  • Charged: 115 times
  • Average percentage at charge: 40%
  • Cell voltage variation: <.02
  • Deep cycled: once last week
I tried deep cycling for the first time last week - it's not a fun thing to do, by the way. Following the charge after cycling the cells were perfectly balanced. I then flew it once down to 37% and found after charging it was back to the previous .02 volt deviation.
So in my case what's the point?

More interesting is the "battery life" indicator that previously displayed in the Go app, but now only displays in Litchi.
The indicator has steadily dropped down to 72% remaining and I am unable to charge my battery above 98% (cycling has not affected that percentage)
I just ordered a new DJI battery, so we'll see how things compare from here on.
Thanks for reading.

Reactions: sonof40
One question I have... I usually fly my P3A until the battery is at 8% (low level of course) does this mean I don't need to discharge it every 20 or so days?

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think you want to retype your question.

I think you mean to ask if you don't need to deep discharge it every 20 or so cycles.

The answer is no, since DJI no longer recommends deep discharges.

If DJI did recommend deep discharges to 8%, the answer would still be no since you are already in effect deep discharging - even under a load - most flights.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik