Battery Care

Reaction score
The DJI Phantom 2 manual says "It’s recommended to charge and discharge the battery thoroughly once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Users should discharge the battery until there is less than 8% power left or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Users should then fully recharge the battery to maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will ensure the battery is working at its optimal level."

I usually stop flying when my battery is at 20% so I am wondering what is a good way to discharge the battery down to 8%?

New to this heli... But I could think of a couple of ways. #1 run motors at "idle" on the ground until you dip into the one flashing led on battery. #2 you use power when your battery is on and you're connected to the computer... So, I assume you could let it drain while in the assistant until you reach that level (certainly would be a LOT slower lol)

Buckaye said:
New to this heli... But I could think of a couple of ways. #1 run motors at "idle" on the ground until you dip into the one flashing led on battery. #2 you use power when your battery is on and you're connected to the computer... So, I assume you could let it drain while in the assistant until you reach that level (certainly would be a LOT slower lol)
The problem is that once I get below 15% the motors want to automatically turn off because I have the phantom sitting on the ground.

"When reached 15% you can force your Phantom to stay in the air, just a few feet from the ground for safety, by push the throttle stick up. This is the fastest way to drain your battery."

Great info cheers Mark

"Greece and Thailand" lucky barsteward. :) not jealous. :)

Buckaye said:

Running motors at idle on ground... Yes but with one caution:

Do not do this after a flight without a power cycle first.
What I mean is if you fly, land, and then do not shut off motors the a/c will slowly spin up motors and it will tip over.

The idling must occur prior to a flight to prevent this 'motor runaway'.

N017RW said:
Do not do this after a flight without a power cycle first.
What I mean is if you fly, land, and then do not shut off motors the a/c will slowly spin up motors and it will tip over.

The idling must occur prior to a flight to prevent this 'motor runaway'.

The only problem I can think of with that is that, once your battery level hits the "one flashing bar" level, the motors won't start. I don't know if they'll keep running if you start them before the battery hits that level, will they?

Don't know Harry...
I was just posting a warning about what I have experienced and subsequently read others have too.
Fortunately I intervened before the imminent tip-over actually occurred.

N017RW said:
Don't know Harry...
I was just posting a warning about what I have experienced and subsequently read others have too.
Fortunately I intervened before the imminent tip-over actually occurred.

Yes, it's a very good point. I've noticed myself that if you land and don't shut off the motors, they'll slowly spool up again.

Spetter said:
Cant you just remove the props and let it spin on full speed inside?

good question... I would think that'd be fine?

Buckaye said:
Spetter said:
Cant you just remove the props and let it spin on full speed inside?

good question... I would think that'd be fine?

The snag would be it will take much longer as there is so little resistance, and the motors could run hotter when they are not being blasted with air.
Hovering with throttle held up to burn off that last bit is probably the safest way.

4wd said:
The snag would be it will take much longer as there is so little resistance, and the motors could run hotter when they are not being blasted with air.
Hovering with throttle held up to burn off that last bit is probably the safest way.

Exactly what I did during my last flight. I waited until I had 15% and then hovered it about 3 inches above the ground.

"The snag would be it will take much longer as there is so little resistance, and the motors could run hotter when they are not being blasted with air.
Hovering with throttle held up to burn off that last bit is probably the safest way."

Also read this, and is generally thought the safest/quickest way for man and quad.

You don't need to start the motor. Just power on the battery with the P2 led lights flashing and it will drain the battery. Depend on the remaining power, it may take 15-20 minutes to reach 8%.

Careful if you have an fpv vtx installed as some of those can overheat if not cooled by air when flying.
Isn't running a lipo down so far bad for it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik