Battery/Battery Charger Help

Reaction score
I just bought a new UAV, four batteries, battery balancer/discharge, and a new battery charger from a trade show/flea market.

The UAV: Storm Drone 6.
The Charger: Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo
The Batteries: Storm 11.1V 5500mAH 35c
The Balancer: imaxRC

I have never owned a UAV where I had to charge the batteries like this. The seller had no clue. She said her son left for college and this was left behind. I do own two Phantom 2's, a Phantom Vision and the FC40.

I plugged one of the batteries in the balancer. It reads;

Total = 11.43v

Is that good, bad? The charger can do two batteries at once. There is a dial that goes from 1amp to 6amp. What should I set them at for this battery? 11.1V 5500mAH 35c

The charger also has a switch from LiPo to LiPo Fast? Which setting do you recommend?

What does mAH mean. What does 35c mean? What should this battery read when fully charged and what should the minimum discharge be?

Thank you,

Lee

I am a long time lurker of this forum. I used it to purchase my Phantom 2's. Thank you to all who posted their reviews and other useful tips!

OI Photography said:
Short answer: the cells in your batt look good (all levels even or w/in .05v of each other), and you can set your charger to 5.5Amps for that battery (on regular LiPo setting, not LiPo fast).

Full answer: Here's everything you need to know about Lipo's, including charging, mAh, C-ratings, storage and use: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Wow.... Thanks Ol Photography. That's an awesome breakdown of the Lipo battery.

Man, thanks....

p2pv said:
OI Photography said:
Short answer: the cells in your batt look good (all levels even or w/in .05v of each other), and you can set your charger to 5.5Amps for that battery (on regular LiPo setting, not LiPo fast).

Full answer: Here's everything you need to know about Lipo's, including charging, mAh, C-ratings, storage and use: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Man, thanks....

No problem! I know it's a lot to pick up when you're new ;)

It sounds like you might actually have 2 chargers there....can you show a pic of the ImaxBC you mentioned?

OI Photography said:
p2pv said:
OI Photography said:

Man, thanks....

No problem! I know it's a lot to pick up when you're new ;)

It sounds like you might actually have 2 chargers there....can you show a pic of the ImaxBC you mentioned?

Yep. Here it is. Sorry. I was playing with the batteries and charger. lol.

331j77n.jpg

124bkoi.jpg

15ex0dy.jpg

Ahh ok, I misunderstood, thought what you had was a particular Imax balance charger. I have that same unit you pictured (it's sold by many different brands) and it's great for monitoring/balancing/discharging. The charger you do have (Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo) looks like it balances the cells while charging, but it's always good to keep an eye on them anyway.

OI Photography said:
Ahh ok, I misunderstood, thought what you had was a particular Imax balance charger. I have that same unit you pictured (it's sold by many different brands) and it's great for monitoring/balancing/discharging. The charger you do have (Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo) looks like it balances the cells while charging, but it's always good to keep an eye on them anyway.

Thanks for looking out. I appreciate the help. I did a bit of quick research on the charger myself a few minutes ago. You're correct. It balances them as it charges. I also just found out that the red and black wires shouldn't touch each other when plugged into just the battery. lol....

I charged the one battery that was at 3.81. It finished at 4.20.

p2pv said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks for looking out. I appreciate the help. I did a bit of quick research on the charger myself a few minutes ago. You're correct. It balances them as it charges. I also just found out that the red and black wires shouldn't touch each other when plugged into just the battery. lol....

Perfect, a proper lipo charger should always cut off once they're all balanced at 4.2v/cell.

OI Photography said:
p2pv said:
OI Photography said:

Perfect, a proper lipo charger should always cut off once they're all balanced at 4.2v/cell.

Cool and thanks again. Ol Photography. I really do appreciate your help.

I just got back from flying my new purchase. I think I'll stick to quad-copters. The controller was a little strange. The sticks do not center which kind of through me off at first. Also, I was only able to get eight minutes of flight time with those batteries. That was hovering with a little bit of movement. Maybe 50 feet up and 100 feet out and back. No crazy flying maneuvers.

I didn't feel like I could trust it even though it has NAZA V2 on it. It did everything else like it was supposed to. Did the compass dance. Got the first set of blinking green and then the home lock blinks and then I took off. It flew well. I just felt uneasy flying it.

I'll stick with my trusty P2's. :)

Thanks again,

Lee

No problem, always glad to help!

What controller came with that Storm kit? I'm guessing it might be a Devo6? Many aftermarket controllers do have an option to make the left stick self-centering but I don't know if your controller is one or what it would take even if it is (might just need a spring, might need a separate part).

OI Photography said:
No problem, always glad to help!

What controller came with that Storm kit? I'm guessing it might be a Devo6? Many aftermarket controllers do have an option to make the left stick self-centering but I don't know if your controller is one or what it would take even if it is (might just need a spring, might need a separate part).

It is the Devo7. It's in good shape. No cracks or anything. It seems like it was well kept.

I hope there is a way to change it. That would be awesome! If needed, I can open it up later on this evening and take some pictures.

Thanks again,

Lee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20