battery and charger

Reaction score
Can some one tell me if it is better to keep the battery attached to the charger after charging or is it better to disconnect the battery. Sometimes it's a few day between flights and I want my batteries at full capacity. Does the charger go into trickle charge and keep the battery topped off?

Thanks

Unplug. It shuts off anyway.
i.e. It does not trickle charge.

If possible store lipos at about 2green LED bars between flights.
This will help extend life.

You can Google LiPo care for more info.

bcass1 said:
Can some one tell me if it is better to keep the battery attached to the charger after charging or is it better to disconnect the battery. Sometimes it's a few day between flights and I want my batteries at full capacity. Does the charger go into trickle charge and keep the battery topped off?

Thanks

You absolutely MUST disconnect the battery when it's fully charged: this is essential.

You shouldn't store LiPo batteries fully charged: if you're not going to use a battery for a few days, charge it to 50-70% capacity (2-3 illuminated bars) and store it in that state. Top it up (it'll only take a few minutes) before you fly.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on how to discharge the batteries to recycle them. Run the copter with no props until the battery is drained?

I think he means to the 8% that DJI recommends for a deep cycle, Harry. I would hope you don't do that while hovering... even if the firmware let you. ;)

But, yes, put the Phantom on your workbench, take the props off, and run it full throttle.

This is, of course, if you believe that deep cycling is advisable for LiPo's. Most experts do not believe this to be the case. It is, however, the only way DJI suggests to keep the batteries calibrated, sooooo...

Hovering works for me. At the end it can barely get above ground effect.
Must be cautious of winds while doing so but I can see many not being comfortable with this.

As far as discharge goes, my telemetry indicated it would no longer stay aloft below ~10.6v under load.

Well above the widely accepted damage threshold of 3v/cell.

+1 on getting it off the charger... Saw this question in another post and didn't see a good answer - how do you all get the battery to 8% (because as someone mentioned - you certainly can't fly it to 8%). Just curious as I just got the Phantom 2 over the weekend and am wondering when I want to cycle the battery how to do it.

ProfessorStein said:
I think he means to the 8% that DJI recommends for a deep cycle, Harry. I would hope you don't do that while hovering... even if the firmware let you. ;)

Ah, my misunderstanding. I thought he was asking how to get his fully-charged batteries down to a safe storage charge level.

N017RW said:
As far as discharge goes, my telemetry indicated it would no longer stay aloft below ~10.6v under load.

Well above the widely accepted damage threshold of 3v/cell.

Good to know!

I still won't hover it to that point, though ;)
That's what my table is for.

Yea, not the only way to do it.

The bench method is more convenient for sure.

I did mean to cycle the battery down to 8% as suggested by DJI. Is there a difference of opinion on this? I googled Lipo battery care and maintenance and it mentioned cycling the battery to reduce "memory " problems.

Lipos do not suffer from memory effect like Nicads do.

I am not sure why DJI recommend the deep discharge, but I do mine every 20 flights or so.

Buckaye said:
+1 on getting it off the charger... Saw this question in another post and didn't see a good answer - how do you all get the battery to 8% (because as someone mentioned - you certainly can't fly it to 8%). Just curious as I just got the Phantom 2 over the weekend and am wondering when I want to cycle the battery how to do it.
Best is to sit it on your bench or deck with props on and anchor it down. Speed it up, not to max, and wait until battery is at the 8% you are looking for.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20