Hello! I have been checking out the Battery-related threads here (but it's hard to search; 'battery' is listed as a word too common to search, so I can't even search by thread titles :| ), but haven't seen any that echo my specific issues. Curious if anyone has any rescue thoughts or anything. So I bought my quad from Amazon, along with a second battery (a good call!). I went to charge the pre-installed battery, which showed 2 or 2.5 bars, and it... does... for about 2 or 3 seconds or so - then the charger light turns green and then completely off, while the battery also resets. Then they both turn on, the charger goes back to red to indicate charging, the battery also looks normal for a few seconds, and then they do the dance all over again. I have tried to discharge the battery as much as I could, in hopes that it would 'reset' something in the controller (it didn't). [Somewhat offtopic: Strangely, I had a heck of a time trying to run it down. I had it connected to my Macbook to watch the battery discharge. It was on 8% and stopped counting down available mAh for hours (I had it mostly idling, though I did try to run the motors a bit)... wondering if the original reported capacity was wrong.] I am morbidly curious if the battery will fully charge, despite the interruptions. It seems it does hold *a* charge - after (finally) running it down to where it won't turn on, I connected the charger to test, and even though it still reset, it allowed me to turn it on again. So maybe I'll charge it while I have an eye on it ... perhaps behind a bomb shield. The battery itself seemed to work from a usage standpoint; I initially got a few minutes of flight time (I only dared that much because I was in my backyard and I think I was getting some interference, because it was very wobbly - big drifts and dips in altitude from about head-height), and as I mentioned, it certainly didn't have any trouble spinning the fans or idling while trying to run it down. Anyway, any thoughts? I did initiate a replacement with Amazon, who told me not to worry about sending it back (sweet?), so it would be kinda sweet to try to salvage this if possible. If not, is it worth contacting DJI, or are they just going to refer me back to the retailer? Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to be as thorough about the issue and what I've tried so far. Thanks!