Battery and Charger constantly 'reset' during charging

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been checking out the Battery-related threads here (but it's hard to search; 'battery' is listed as a word too common to search, so I can't even search by thread titles :| ), but haven't seen any that echo my specific issues. Curious if anyone has any rescue thoughts or anything.

So I bought my quad from Amazon, along with a second battery (a good call!). I went to charge the pre-installed battery, which showed 2 or 2.5 bars, and it... does... for about 2 or 3 seconds or so - then the charger light turns green and then completely off, while the battery also resets. Then they both turn on, the charger goes back to red to indicate charging, the battery also looks normal for a few seconds, and then they do the dance all over again.

I have tried to discharge the battery as much as I could, in hopes that it would 'reset' something in the controller (it didn't). [Somewhat offtopic: Strangely, I had a heck of a time trying to run it down. I had it connected to my Macbook to watch the battery discharge. It was on 8% and stopped counting down available mAh for hours (I had it mostly idling, though I did try to run the motors a bit)... wondering if the original reported capacity was wrong.]

I am morbidly curious if the battery will fully charge, despite the interruptions. It seems it does hold *a* charge - after (finally) running it down to where it won't turn on, I connected the charger to test, and even though it still reset, it allowed me to turn it on again. So maybe I'll charge it while I have an eye on it ... perhaps behind a bomb shield.

The battery itself seemed to work from a usage standpoint; I initially got a few minutes of flight time (I only dared that much because I was in my backyard and I think I was getting some interference, because it was very wobbly - big drifts and dips in altitude from about head-height), and as I mentioned, it certainly didn't have any trouble spinning the fans or idling while trying to run it down.

Anyway, any thoughts? I did initiate a replacement with Amazon, who told me not to worry about sending it back (sweet?), so it would be kinda sweet to try to salvage this if possible. If not, is it worth contacting DJI, or are they just going to refer me back to the retailer?

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to be as thorough about the issue and what I've tried so far.
Thanks!

I had a battery with a bad cell that was replaced under warranty also. I also had difficulties discharging it below 8%. In hindsight that's what i believe may have ruined the battery so I no longer go lower than 8% when doing a full discharge after 20 charges.
I didn't have any issue with charging battery though.

Take a look at the battery cell info in the assistant software and check the cells.

I did that when I first got the battery, and it seemed okay (although I had nothing to compare it to at the time).

This is what it shows now, but note that it's almost discharged to the point of not being able to turn on. I am pretty sure the voltage was higher when it had more juice. If there are any abnormal values, even for being a discharged battery, please let me know...
RhBmBU5.png

Looking like cell one is the culprit with 40mV difference.
Can you charge it at all?

You could be right. My knowledge of lipo batteries is limited. My bad battery started out at a difference of around 40 and got worse over the next few charges

Yeah, it does look like it's charging. There are now two status LEDs, and there's no swelling or any other kind of physical damage I can see. Going to charge it to full and compare it to my other full battery that I took readings from.

So it charged, and it looks okay except the current is pretty crazy compared to my known-good battery, which is only -990 mA.

UCr0oms.png

For reference, this is the output of my 'good' battery
aL1Tx2I.png

So.... I don't know the ins and outs of batteries, so what is this actually telling me?

Just took it out for a spin. The 'bad' battery performed fairly well, all things considered. I was recording most of the time, so I didn't get a true baseline flight time (7 minute video, though). I initiated my own RTH (because I hadn't done it yet) while at about 17%-ish, I think, so I guess it's still a keeper despite the odd charging issue.

Still interested in any feedback from folks who might know a bit more than me. :)

No, the charger works fine with the other battery. It's charging now with no issues. It's only the one that came with the Phantom itself. I should be able to completely rule out the charger on Monday when my replacement comes.

If it's just a 'small part' of the battery, is it worth trying to get in touch with DJI (despite buying it from Amazon)?

So as a resolution to this, I did contact DJI and send the battery back. They confirmed it was bad and my replacement is on its way back for delivery this weekend.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj