Battery/Altitude Level Monitor

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using the Phantom 2, with the GoPro hero 4 black attached. I'm wondering is there a way to monitor the battery and altitude level, like some sort of hardware/app?

Thats brilliant! I always thought that was iOS (apple) related stuff. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Yes, a Phantom V+ :)

Sorry, but it is almost that clear cut. The Vision+ is designed for hobby users who want a simple, plug and play solution, while the P2 / GoPro uses older, more established equipment allowing more flexibility, but currently little support for tablets and smart phones. There are technical reasons why, including the fact that the "normal" R/C control channels can suffer from interference from WiFi - which is why the Vision+ uses 5.8GHz for control, allowing WiFi for camera control and telemetry.

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense! thanks for clearing that up. Just a bit lost with the terminology :)

Hi, I am not sure if this would be relevant, but I am using the Phantom 2 with GoPro Hero 4 black edition. My WiFi connection is through lightbridge and accordingly I am using a Samsung Tablet S 8.4 and it is working fine. Actually I use this for both my phantoms the other being PV2+ V3.0 and it is perfect combination. However, for the P2 the lightbridge is my connection and it has its own software for iOS or Android.

Does that display your phantom's battery level or altitude? I currently use the go pro app to see a live view

bushell said:
Does that display your phantom's battery level or altitude? I currently use the go pro app to see a live view

Yes, it does actually, it gives me battery power on all devices the receiver, the bird, in addition to altitude, speed, and distance, this can also be displayed in either format metric or imperial.

Lightbridge is expensive and requires a new remote control, as well as some skills to set it all up. No doubt it will do all you want it to, but for $1300....

Do not use the GoPro WiFi in flight. It is on pretty much the same frequencies as the radio control system and it is only a matter of time before you get a loss of control episode, possibly along with a flyaway.

$400 or so will buy you a complete analogue FPV system on 5.8GHz, which will give you the on screen display via a mini iOSD, transmitter for the quad and monitor with built in receiver.

It really depends how deep your pockets are and how serious you take the hobby. I fly a couple of times a week, but could not justify the expense of the Lightbridge, but I guess if you can afford it, why not :)

I just bought a new go pro 4 silver. And wanted to buy phantom, but with their issues I'll think I'll hold off on buying a dji...I would hate to watch it fly it self away...

bushell said:

If you're using a GoPro app on a P2 you might be a candidate for a crash or a flyaway. Your GoPro app uses wifi, the same wifi frequency your transmitter uses.

boeing777 said:
I just bought a new go pro 4 silver. And wanted to buy phantom, but with their issues I'll think I'll hold off on buying a dji...I would hate to watch it fly it self away...

Hey there... Certainly it's up to you... But you have to remember that human nature is to post bad experiences online and not good experiences. Yes there are a few people who have had issues with their phantoms...and even fewer who's issues were caused by an absolute system only issue (no pilot error involved)... But those are really rare.

I think you'll find.. The vast majority of owners run into no issues whatsoever with the technology and most issues are mistakes we all make eventually in a hobby like this.

There's always a risk when putting an rc vehicle in the air...it's part of the hobby... But I just wanted to provide this perspective so you don't have the impression that Phantoms are just falling out of the sky everywhere :)

Funny how someone who is having erratic flight behavior can sit in front their screen and give advice but can't correct their own problems.

jason said:
Funny how someone who is having erratic flight behavior can sit in front their screen and give advice but can't correct their own problems.

There is nothing funny about it since no advice was given rather than it was an experience I had with a setup pertaining to the said subject. If you read my post, it clearly stated I am not sure if it is relevant. Hence, sharing experiences is only normal, even though the best have their bad days irrespective of the experience (you did read in other posts where device failures happened, and flyaways occurred, a number of these had nothing to do with experiences but rather unfortunate events). However, I am glad to know that a learned person like yourself is fully comfortable to give advice and opinions about others instead of adding value , where instead of being helpful chooses to critique individuals that he knows nothing about, I am sure you are fully in control of your Phantom, therefore, enjoy your fly time.

Have a good day Jason.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic