Battery ad flight times

Reaction score
Phantom FC40 with everything stock.

Hi there - I got an FC 40 about a week ago and have been enjoying it since. However, my flight times seem to be very erratic, mostly cut short by low battery lights. I have two standard batteries, 2200mAh.

Although I have achieved in excess of 10 minutes flight, I'm now finding that for testing purposes, simply hovering above the ground, the battery low lights are coming on at about 2 minutes 30 seconds and then it auto lands a short time after. I have seen this sort of time with both batteries.

I am charging using the BC-20-4 and use the 1 A setting and Lipo and have both leads plugged in. I always wait for it to turn steady green before detaching the battery. Sometimes that might mean the battery is in the charger overnight, but I assume there's no harm in that.

I have a battery level checker ordered so that I can see what is in each cell.
Any helpful advice ? I'm interested in what the best settings are in the software for the battery levels and how I can set them to give prolonged battery life - in order words, not to run it down beyond 80% discharged.

Thanks - Damian.

I'm not familiar woth the FC 40. My phantom 1.1.1 has a voltage setting int the Naza assistant software. I assume that since your up and flying you are already familiar with the assistant software. Go to the voltage tab and follow the instructions for setting the battery warning level 1 and 2. Your required to calculate your line loss and this is done by first entering a 1st level voltage. I went with 11.3 volts. Then with a fully charged battery fly until the first led is activated(red flashing), land and check the voltage with a multi meter immediately. Subtract the voltage you just read from your voltage you first entered in the assistant(remember the 11.3 volts I mentioned). I finished at 10.7 volts. 11.3-10.7= 0.6
That's the number I entered in the line loss box. The rest is calculated for you in the assistant.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Ozzyguy - I have been in there but was hoping that I could just leave it alone at the defaults. I'll get the volt meter out and check it using this procedure.

I get 16 mins now with my 2700MaH but I've now turned the voltage assist off altogether. I now rely on a cell checker/ voltage alarm the I have glued to the quad. This is set for 10.5 volts. I will fly my 2200MaH batteries today and let you know what time I get.

Cheers Ozzyguy. I tuned the settings and just got 12 minutes 30 seconds hovering until the first sign of a red flash, so all good here.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm thinking now that I should get some Vision 2 props and a 2700mAh battery to make life all the sweeter :)

A link to my first uploaded flight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDpa9m-qkA

Damian.

That's about what I would get with the stock battery. I have cheap imitation vision props. Get the dji brand ones not the ones of Bay. Glad my instructions made sense. Not like the dji documentation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.