Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery ad flight times

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Help' started by horne47789, Apr 15, 2014.

1. horne47789

Phantom FC40 with everything stock.

Hi there - I got an FC 40 about a week ago and have been enjoying it since. However, my flight times seem to be very erratic, mostly cut short by low battery lights. I have two standard batteries, 2200mAh.

Although I have achieved in excess of 10 minutes flight, I'm now finding that for testing purposes, simply hovering above the ground, the battery low lights are coming on at about 2 minutes 30 seconds and then it auto lands a short time after. I have seen this sort of time with both batteries.

I am charging using the BC-20-4 and use the 1 A setting and Lipo and have both leads plugged in. I always wait for it to turn steady green before detaching the battery. Sometimes that might mean the battery is in the charger overnight, but I assume there's no harm in that.

I have a battery level checker ordered so that I can see what is in each cell.
    Any helpful advice ? I'm interested in what the best settings are in the software for the battery levels and how I can set them to give prolonged battery life - in order words, not to run it down beyond 80% discharged.

Thanks - Damian.

2. Ozzyguy

I'm not familiar woth the FC 40. My phantom 1.1.1 has a voltage setting int the Naza assistant software. I assume that since your up and flying you are already familiar with the assistant software. Go to the voltage tab and follow the instructions for setting the battery warning level 1 and 2. Your required to calculate your line loss and this is done by first entering a 1st level voltage. I went with 11.3 volts. Then with a fully charged battery fly until the first led is activated(red flashing), land and check the voltage with a multi meter immediately. Subtract the voltage you just read from your voltage you first entered in the assistant(remember the 11.3 volts I mentioned). I finished at 10.7 volts. 11.3-10.7= 0.6
    That's the number I entered in the line loss box. The rest is calculated for you in the assistant.
    Hope this makes sense.

3. horne47789

Thanks Ozzyguy - I have been in there but was hoping that I could just leave it alone at the defaults. I'll get the volt meter out and check it using this procedure.

4. Ozzyguy

I get 16 mins now with my 2700MaH but I've now turned the voltage assist off altogether. I now rely on a cell checker/ voltage alarm the I have glued to the quad. This is set for 10.5 volts. I will fly my 2200MaH batteries today and let you know what time I get.

5. horne47789

Cheers Ozzyguy. I tuned the settings and just got 12 minutes 30 seconds hovering until the first sign of a red flash, so all good here.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm thinking now that I should get some Vision 2 props and a 2700mAh battery to make life all the sweeter :)

A link to my first uploaded flight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDpa9m-qkA

Damian.

6. Ozzyguy

That's about what I would get with the stock battery. I have cheap imitation vision props. Get the dji brand ones not the ones of Bay. Glad my instructions made sense. Not like the dji documentation.