Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Standard Batteries

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Winelad, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Winelad

Hi Guys , thanks for all the advice so far , been flying 1 month and love it . Couple of questions regarding batteries - I've bought a spare battery for longer flying . What is best protocol regarding charging ? Should I run batteries flat before charging or can I top up if one has been partially used ?
    Also , once I get to the point of using 2 x batteries on one outing - is it necessary to re-calibrate the compass again when swapping batteries over or will it be a straight "in/out" operation ? Thanks again .

Alan

2. Flipsonic

#2 Flipsonic, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Winelad and ROD PAINTER like this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

There is no need to run the batteries down to a certain point before charging them again.

Winelad likes this.
  4. RodPad

You do know there is a setting in the App, that tells the batteries to auto discharge.

About every other flight around my house because I live in Pacific North Wind, I will get a low battery level when I am landing. Other than that I won't go up without full battery.

I have found to get the battery to 100%. (by topping it off?). Power the battery up like you do when it is in the Phantom hooked to your charger. I have three bats, I would like four.
    20 min flight, 20 min for the battery to cool off (at this time of the year). So with approximately 2 hr charge, I still would never be caught up.

Rod

5. RussGriz

So to piggyback off this discussion, how many batteries would I need to achieve "constant" flight? i.e., landing the drone long enough to swap out the battery but never needing to wait while your batteries charge. For example: Battery 1, fly for 20 minutes, swap in Battery 2. Battery 1 cools for 20 minutes then starts charging, swap in Battery 3. Battery 1 33% charged, Battery 2 cooled and starts charging, swap in Battery 4. Battery 1 66% charged, Battery 2 33% charged, Battery 3 cooled and starts charging, swap in Battery 5. Battery 1 fully charged, Battery 2 66% charged, Battery 3 33% charged, Battery 4 cooled and charging. Can I now swap in Battery 1 and star from the beginning or do I need to give Battery 1 a "rest" before putting it back in the drone, requiring 6 batteries to keep the drone flying? Thanks.

6. RodPad

Yeah, I would go with six, 20 min flight, seams like about a 2 hr charge, probably 10 min for cool down. But I think at this way, your going to be able to have at least four charging all the time.

Rod