Batteries over the winter

Reaction score
I live in central Canada, so right now until March, it's too cold to fly my drone.

Will my batteries be ok until then? They are fully charged now but not being used. Will not using them have an adverse effect on their life? Is there anything I should do with them during the "winter break"? We all know the cost of new ones...

Thanks for your thoughts.

PhantomState said:
I'm in Minnesota so, same boat. As dirkclod said, bring to 50%. I put in a ziplock, and store in the fridge.

Hopefully we will get a warmer day or two each month this winter to get out and fly w/o freezing fingers or other body parts.
From what I have read there is a small improvement when rechargeable batts are stored in frig. It did not directly mention lipos. I would think a vacuum bag would be best to make sure no moisture got into the electronics of that DJI battery. The way Winter has started, we may not fly again until late Spring. :cry: Hope not.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Couple more questions. Best in the fridge or freezer? And for how long, ie should I take them out and charge them every month or...?

The articles I read stated the frig. Be sure to warm them to room temp before any use.

The new Assistant sw has on its upgrade page a possibility of upgrading you battery fw. This fw will drain / protect your battery automatically if not used for 10 day. Note, you should ugrade the fw of each of you batteries seperately.

aartsf said:
The new Assistans sw has on its upgrade page a possibility of upgrading you battery fw. This fw will drain / protect your batery automatically if not used is for 10 day. Note, you should ugrade the fw of each of you batteries seperately.

2.6 Battery Firmware I believe. Or is it Software? You get the idea! As for myself, it should be okay to fly in the UK over winter when it's dry. It rarely gets freezing or colder here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie