Batteries for Phantom

Reaction score
Hello
Does anybody knows other brands and models for batteries that fit inside Phantom, for example Zippy etc?

Thanks

I love the Turnigy ones, they are a tight fit, but give about 2 minutes extra flight time over the stock ones, and you can get one off them, for the price of one stock battery.

oldengineer said:
I love the Turnigy ones, they are a tight fit, but give about 2 minutes extra flight time over the stock ones, and you can get one off them, for the price of one stock battery.

Thanks, do you know any specific model that fits inside Phantom's Battery compartment?

I found those two models but I don't know if they fit inside the compartment..
The Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=35819
and the Zippy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=38109

They seem to have same specifications, but although Zippy is 15g lighter than Turnigy it is a couple of milimeters biger in W and H

Zippy: 104 x 36 x 25, 173g
Turnigy: 105 x 33 x 24, 188g

There are many compatible batteries in size and near same weight.
My favorites are, Hyperion 2500 mAh and Thunder Power 2700 mAh. Longer flight time and both fit perfect in tray. Even you can mod inside it for using dual battery:

Battery-Mini.jpg

DJI-BATT-UPGRADE_1.jpg

hyp-3S-11v-25C-2500mah-pic1.jpg

jumanoc said:
My favorites are, Hyperion 2500 mAh and Thunder Power 2700 mAh. Longer flight time and both fit perfect in tray. Even you can mod inside it for using dual battery:

Hey, thanks for your reply
Is this the Hyperion you are talking about?
http://www.hyperion-eu.com/products/pro ... 25-2500-3S

Because I just read at RCgroups.com that Battery compartment size is roughly L: 108mm x W: 36.5mm x H: 28mm and the above battery is 109x36x29.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 85&page=13

Also, why it is 3 times more expensive than the zippy one?

There may be times in a long flight dedicated to some lengthy task that the extra 500Ma is worth it's weight in gold. But, overall, for the extra price of an additional 500 Ma I can buy a whole 'nother Turnigy 2200Ma and a LOT more flying time...closer to home.

Just another way of looking at it. Each to his/her own choice, After all.....it is only money.

There are some good preliminary findings on the Maddog 2700 pack too, which is a bit bigger but specifically designed to fit in the Phantom battery tray.

I've resoldered all my DJI batteries to be 3S2P 4400mAH. It gets me ~13min flight time with a gimbal/gopro attached. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a true 2700mah single back gets 10-12min on the same config. But again, for the price those are going for, I can get 2-5 "regular" 2200 packs and double them up for even more flight time.

ElGuano said:
There are some good preliminary findings on the Maddog 2700 pack too, which is a bit bigger but specifically designed to fit in the Phantom battery tray.

I've resoldered all my DJI batteries to be 3S2P 4400mAH. It gets me ~13min flight time with a gimbal/gopro attached. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a true 2700mah single back gets 10-12min on the same config. But again, for the price those are going for, I can get 2-5 "regular" 2200 packs and double them up for even more flight time.

Photo??? Seeing is believing.

jumanoc said:

Battery-Mini.jpg

DJI-BATT-UPGRADE_1.jpg

hyp-3S-11v-25C-2500mah-pic1.jpg

I purchased two Nano-Tech lipos and for the life of me, I cannot get the wire to fit so I can close the door. I've watched their **** video showing it fit with no problem but I have not been so lucky yet. I will admit, the Nano-Techs make nice paperweights. LOL!!

I'm using the Dronefly.com lipo which is 2250 45C and it has great lift off with my ARRIS CM2000 and HERO3. I don't have the same lift off power with the stock battery. That's my concern with these 2700mAh lipos that are only 25C. They will last longer but with they have the muscle to liftoff and maneavor in the air? I'm getting 5 minutes flying time with the Dronefly Lipo and only about 3 1/2 minutes with the stock lipos.

Just something to think about. I'm not discounting anyone's ideas. I just want to figure a way to get my Nano-Techs to fit. I may try going wire in first and see what that does.

FangsCPO said:
ElGuano said:

Photo??? Seeing is believing.

a4KCPXD.jpg

Bridge positive main leads, negative main leads, and two middle balance leads

WVO9BGg.jpg

Finished needs heat shrink

I5oXQK4.jpg

Weight savings ~20g less than two standalone batteries

1wWrcmd.jpg

Shaved battery opening to fit into Phantom

Nice job ElGuano !

Can you kindly provide a schema "for dummies" for wiring the two batteries ?

Connecting the main leads is clear to me, but not for balance cables.

jimetto said:
Nice job ElGuano !

Here's my lame attempt. Note that the picture is backwards from how I actually did mine--I put the positive leads next to each other and snaked the negative in an S across the middle. In this picture, the negative leads are closer.

wDyZUpNl.jpg

The two balance leads you need to connect with are the glowing blue and green lines in the picture.

The key is that balance wires go at "every solder joint" and between each battery. So a 3S will have 4 leads, a 4S will have 5 leads, etc. When you connect the main discharge leads, the end balance leads will automatically be joined as well, so you can clip those off of one battery. What you need to do is connect the two inner leads, the one at the solder joints connecting cells 1-2, respectively, as well as the lead connecting cells 2-3. The joint closest to the negative terminal on one battery connects to the joint closest to the negative terminal on the other battery; as so with the remaining joint closer to the positive terminal.

Mindflights said:
This forum is awesome.

So much interesting info...

but I am wondering why a 2200mah battery 25-35c like this turnigy to cost just 10 euros
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=35819
and one like hyperion at 2500 and thunder power at 2700 to cost more than 40 euros...
is this price gap justified?
it is 1 to 4..!

It could be the brand name Thunderpower and Hyperion. Those are two very big names. It could also be the quality of the cells they are using. Supposeably, the cell quality of the two brand named batteries is better than the Turnigy cells but that's always a heated debate.

ElGuano said:
jimetto said:
Nice job ElGuano !

Here's my lame attempt. Note that the picture is backwards from how I actually did mine--I put the positive leads next to each other and snaked the negative in an S across the middle. In this picture, the negative leads are closer.

wDyZUpNl.jpg

The two balance leads you need to connect with are the glowing blue and green lines in the picture.

The key is that balance wires go at "every solder joint" and between each battery. So a 3S will have 4 leads, a 4S will have 5 leads, etc. When you connect the main discharge leads, the end balance leads will automatically be joined as well, so you can clip those off of one battery. What you need to do is connect the two inner leads, the one at the solder joints connecting cells 1-2, respectively, as well as the lead connecting cells 2-3. The joint closest to the negative terminal on one battery connects to the joint closest to the negative terminal on the other battery; as so with the remaining joint closer to the positive terminal.

Fabulous !!! Many thanks again !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj