Basic Techniques for Editing the DJI Phantom Photos

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Although new to flying drones, I'm a professional photographer with lots of experience editing and I thought I could share with you all some tips and tricks I use to edit photos to help with the pics you get from the DJI Phantom. You all have offered me more assistance than you realize through this forum and this is my way of repaying my thanks!

There is a post with screenshots on my website and I created a video for YouTube.

http://scenictraverse.com/blog/2014...techniques-for-editing-the-dji-phantom-photos

http://youtu.be/_SMy6Jwp_6Y

-Kristen

Edit: I can't seem to get the YouTube video to embed - sorry?

Scenictraverse said:
Although new to flying drones, I'm a professional photographer with lots of experience editing and I thought I could share with you all some tips and tricks I use to edit photos to help with the pics you get from the DJI Phantom. You all have offered me more assistance than you realize through this forum and this is my way of repaying my thanks!

-Kristen

Just followed your link to your website. I'm hooked!!! Incredible photos - very beautiful and engaging. Thanks for sharing this.

-Rick

This is great,
I'm going to watch it more carefully later tonight!
I once though of editing, but after going to best buy,
And seeing soooooo many choices, I was lost, and confused,
So I walked away demoralized! Now this post re-kindled my interests!
Wanted to say thanks, this is exactly what I needed!

THANK YOU!

Take care, Fly safe!

BRAVO!

Simple, well explained and yet enough detail to get me to start hammering out some images.

Thanks from all of us.

Many thank Kristen.

Very usefull info, I am soon going to purchacse adobe software for my imac.
I haven't fully read your website link yet, but do you use filters on the phantom lens at all?
Which of the adobe product should I buy first, especially for lens correction?
Thanks...

PS.. The Phantom 2 vision is a camera, so no apologies from me for asking photography questions, as this is the main reason I bought one...

David,
I dont use any filters. I rarely use things like a polarizer in my land photography. Most filter effects can be added in post production, but you can't take them away!

If you are just starting out, Lightroom is probably the way to go. Costs less than Photoshop and is more friendly for a beginner. They also recently introduced Lightroom mobile that let's you edit on an iPad and then have those edits saved back via the cloud to your desktop.

Kristen

I find the export and resize in Lightroom works well if you want an image for the web, which is how most of us use them these days I think.
Select the 'screen' sharpening setting, and the default these days for a large-ish web image is typically 1024 pixels longest side.

Once you have the settings just use CTRL + Shift + E and you can fire them off to a subfolder quite rapidly.

Kristens article shuld be a STICKY one, so often there's basic questions about shooting in RAW.

There's one thing I'll suggest to add: entering metadata, at least keywords, before saving the edited image. It helps soo much in finding your photos in the future.

I suggest the title be changed to, "Basic Techniques for editing photos from the Phantom Vision and Vision+ " because that's primarily who it's aimed at..... "Make sure you are shooting in RAW (.DNG files)" :)

Yes, useful stuff for the Visioneers!

AnselA said:
Kristens article shuld be a STICKY one, so often there's basic questions about shooting in RAW.

There's one thing I'll suggest to add: entering metadata, at least keywords, before saving the edited image. It helps soo much in finding your photos in the future.

Ironically I don't use meta tagging to my photos in PS or Lightroom. I obviously tag them when I post them online so Google and the like find them, but my filing system is in such a way that I can quickly find any photo I want in about 30 seconds. Taking the time to file my photos is much faster and easier for me than tagging them all.

My technique, in short, is to have a folder for the year and sub folders for every shoot within. My naming convention is to use the month and then location. So "5 Manassas Battlefield" tells me those were shot at that location in May 2014

Then as I review photos, I give a star rating to anything that I think is worth ever saving or using. Adobe remembers these ratings so later I can say "show all my 4 star photos in 2014 from the May Manassas Battlefield shoot". The problem with metadata is that it takes me longer to tag and if I tag everything in bulk, then I type in "bird" and all my bird pics will come back, even the terrible ones. This system let's me jump to all battlefield ones, or quickly filter to only the "best of". In some of my screenshots you may see the star rating.... That's why!

I know lots of people who use the metadata tagging and have great success with it, but I am not one of those people! But the key is to find what works for you and use it- I realize my technique won't work for everyone and that's fine with me! :D

Scenictraverse said:
My technique, in short, is to have a folder for the year and sub folders for every shoot within. My naming convention is to use the month and then location. So "5 Manassas Battlefield" tells me those were shot at that location in May 2014

You can set Lightroom to automatically add the date (and time, if you wish) to the path or file name of each image as it is imported from the SD Card.

Often, though, I use the "Import Pictures" function in Windows and name the folder something like "2014-05-29 Phantom Test Flight." Then, I'll use a program(such as Amok EXIF Sorter) to rename each image in the folder to a name that includes the date and time that the photo was taken.

I often use multiple cameras at events, so I try to remember to synchronize the time on all of them at the start of the day. That way, when sorted by the time the photo was taken, the photos are in order regardless of which camera took them. Starting each file name with the date and time of the photo makes it easier to sort them. If I forget to synchronize the time, Amok makes it easy to offset the time when renaming the files.

-- Roger

Scenictraverse said:
-Kristen

Edit: I can't seem to get the YouTube video to embed - sorry?

dont use youtubes shortend URL.
use the full URL form the browser (also dont use the https. Use the http)

jadebox said:
rename each image in the folder to a name that includes the date and time that the photo was taken.

When image files are tranferred wireless by Vision app, it will rename the files based on time stamp. Unfortunately the app has a bug: it does not transfer DNG images :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic