Basic maintenance ......

Reaction score
Following on from the other thread about quad lifespan

What 'basic maintenance' do you do to your phantom

Do the motors need anything to keep them lubricated?

Personally I like to clean mine after every flight

Do not lubricate the motors.

Basic pre/post flight checks:
  • Check for smooth and easy motor rotation before flight.
  • Check side to side play in motors before flight.
  • Watch for hesitation when starting.
  • Check for excessive motor heat after landing.
  • Check windings for debris.
If you suspect a motor issue, replace it.

Reactions: Noble 1
103 views and only one reply hmmmmm

Great answer though very concise thank you

Reactions: Jim Haller
Every month or so I like to inspect my props with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks. I also balance them periodically.

Every once in a while I take the top off and look at all the solders with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks. I check the torque on the motor mount bolts.

Every month or so I like to inspect my props with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks. I also balance them periodically.

Every once in a while I take the top off and look at all the solders with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks. I check the torque on the motor mount bolts.

You actually pop the lid on yours? Won't that risk voiding the warranty?

I don't do much towards maintenance but follow following checks:

1. Check battery cell voltage differences on fully charged batteries

2. Dust all moving parts once a while

3. Look for cracks on shells

4. Check if any motor screw has loosened

5. Clean props with damp cloth and Check balancing once a while

6. Get used to motor hum during starting and running. If you notice any differences, stop them and check one by one.

7. Check for excessive vibrations during starting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front
Being new, I hope this isn't a stupid question, but as stated in post # 2 above, "Check for excessive motor heat after landing". If you haven't flown your quad a lot, how do you know?

Respectfully, Mark

Being new, I hope this isn't a stupid question, but as stated in post # 2 above, "Check for excessive motor heat after landing". If you haven't flown your quad a lot, how do you know?

Respectfully, Mark

Because there's four motors and if you've got an over-heating problem, it is likely only one motor - so it'll be obvious.

Respectfully, Mark
Warm is okay, if you say ouch it is too hot. (simple answer but pretty straightforward)

Thank you for replying. So warm to the touch is normal and hot to the touch means issue. Got it!! Thanks for the info!!

Just trying to figure it all out. Still waiting on my P3s!! :(

Since I already modded the antennas, I guess it doesn't matter. :p

(I have a P2V)
Since your modifications, how far have you flown it one way? I bought a cheap windsurfer and I'm amazed at the difference.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Only 5400 feet, but I have a lot of upside in my bag of tricks. My goal is to beat Dirk (8800 feet).

Yeah the windsurfer is pretty cool. I made one. I tested it with an EMF meter and it makes quite a difference. Right now it's attached to my router :p

I don't do much towards maintenance but follow following checks:

1. Check battery cell voltage differences on fully charged batteries

2. Dust all moving parts once a while

3. Look for cracks on shells

4. Check if any motor screw has loosened

5. Clean props with damp cloth and Check balancing once a while

6. Get used to motor hum during starting and running. If you notice any differences, stop them and check one by one.

7. Check for excessive vibrations during starting.
I have a question. On most mulit-engine birds the engines are numbered. I, 2, 3, etc... I saw a reference to engine positioning and numbers, but no definition. Usually it is Pilot inside left is #1, Pilot inside right is #2, with outside left as #3, and outside right #4. Is there a sequence to the P3? and do you know what it is? Thanks in advance.

The batteries are to me one of the most important aspects of the machine... I make sure the individual cell voltages are very close (on the Go app) and also I make a note if a battery acts up in any way - a sign that one or more cells are failing.... example would be a good % left but forced to auto land due to low voltage...

Oh yeah, that reminds me - whenever I do a deep discharge, I try to clean the contacts inside the battery and also the posts in the craft. I apply Deoxit which was recommended in another thread.

Forget the blinker fluid. The muffler bearing on my p3 just went"kapoot"!!!! Any idea on how to get the framis off the wiggle pin? Any help would be great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1