Barely legal NYC Harbor flight - your thoughts?

Reaction score
So I scoped out the "Know Before You Fly" US airspace website here: U.S. Air Space | Know Before You Fly and found a little spot just outside all the restricted zones.

Two Port Authority transit policeman came by as I set up and asked me a few questions, then left with a "have fun and stay legal". I stayed below 100 feet the whole time.

****EDIT: Video Removed
Let me know what you think, and how you have managed to follow restrictions and still "get the shot".

Last edited:
WTG on enjoying the sport and doing it responsibly and safely.

I liked it. Especially since I'm outside of the US and surely miss the Lady.

Technically, the turns could be smoother, something I am struggling with also(I'm down to .34 on my yaw)
Pretty cool video overall for such a normally busy place.

Reactions: DrJoe
Hate to tell you this, but technically you should not have been flying there. That area is the New York Hudson River Exclusion Special Flight Rules Area that extends from the surface to 1,000' (see https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/775/kneeboard.pdf) Had you contacted any of the 11 airports / heliports in the 5 mile vicinity as required they would have probably informed you of that. There are some very specific requirements to fly in that airspace.

Unfortunately most of the apps and online maps dont tell you the whole picture. You really have to be able to look at the FAA Sectional Maps to get the full story. I think what the FAA is doing is putting it on the airport operators to police our hobby which is unfortunate. If I had looked at what you did, I would have probably flown too.

The Park Police probably dont care about FAA rules and didnt want that hassle, so you got lucky. Others have been arrested for doing the same thing. I certainly wouldn't take my chances and fly there again.

Nice.

Whats wrong with your camera ?
The image is very tilted.

My gimbal starts to tilt after yaw... Sometimes worse than other times. Did cold IMU, gimbal cal, etc but it keeps showing up. Read a lot of posts about it, like this one:
..."BUT.. that horizon is killing me! Sometimes it's straight mostly it's off.

Usually I'll spin it a bit when setting a shot and it usually levels out, or I'll add tilt correction, but in this case and this airspace, I was rushing through the shot.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hate to tell you this, but technically you should not have been flying there. That area is the New York Hudson River Exclusion Special Flight Rules Area that extends from the surface to 1,000' (see https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/775/kneeboard.pdf)

Well, I'm aware of the SFRA, but I did not think that applied to sUAS. I have read extensively on the rules, but did not see anything regarding airspace restrictions other than that which is posted on the know before you fly site. I wasn't within 5 miles of an airport or heliport. GA aircraft are required to contact the tower upon entering the SFRA. I'm going to give the tower a phone call and ask them about what the have to say about a UAS flight below 1000 feet. Guessing they'd agree with you and will deny.

I'll have to check sectionals regularly before flights, and I believe heeding your advice on not flying this route again would be wise

My gimbal starts to tilt after yaw... Sometimes worse than other times. Did cold IMU, gimbal cal, etc but it keeps showing up. Read a lot of posts about it, like this one:

Usually I'll spin it a bit when setting a shot and it usually levels out, or I'll add tilt correction, but in this case and this airspace, I was rushing through the shot.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dr, you need a doctor. (or at least drone does)

Well, I'm aware of the SFRA, but I did not think that applied to sUAS. I have read extensively on the rules, but did not see anything regarding airspace restrictions other than that which is posted on the know before you fly site. I wasn't within 5 miles of an airport or heliport. GA aircraft are required to contact the tower upon entering the SFRA. I'm going to give the tower a phone call and ask them about what the have to say about a UAS flight below 1000 feet. Guessing they'd agree with you and will deny.

I'll have to check sectionals regularly before flights, and I believe heeding your advice on not flying this route again would be wise

The problem is the rules are just not clear. Always good to error on the side of caution, but I really hope the FAA will create some clear rules (wishful thinking). There are just too may gray areas like this. The SFRA was developed before drones were common so they were never even considered. I just take the attitude that if GA cant just fly there then I cant either.

I'm have a similar issue I am trying to figure out near my in-laws. It is in a very rural area but contained in a MOA (Military Operating Area) AND a AA (Alert Area). The MOA starts at 2,000' so that should not be an issue but the AA goes to the ground. GA is allowed to fly in an AA, but what about UAS? I'm sure if I call the military base they will tell me stay out of their air. SHould be interesting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1