Banner Towing

Reaction score
Hello fellow enthusiasts, I have FAA 333 Exemption. I am considering possibility of banner advertising as an additional service.

I have seen youtube videos from Dena Drones and Drone Distro using vertical banner rigs.

I have a P3P but considering either purchasing P3A or Yuneec Q500 Typhoon 4k. The latter, although slower in horizontal speed, has a removable camera which could give me extra payload and with regard to slower horizontal speed, I would not mind that much since I plan to fly it static in place or at slow speeds precisely.

The youtube videos and images I have googled show quadcopters doing the job (I saw DJI Phantoms, not sure if these were P1's, P2's).

I would appreciate any thoughts, criticisms or comments. Any references to resources would also help, if any.

I searched for related topics in these forums, but to no avail.

Thanks

Here are the links to the references above stated:

http://drones.specout.com/compare/1-45/DJI-Phantom-3-Professional-vs-Yuneec-Q500-Typhoon-4K

Looks awfully marginal in terms of stability and readability. Hopefully it's not windy where you live.

Reactions: richardseguro
Once you get the technical part worked out are you going to update your FAA 333 Exemption to include Banner advertising?
Actually I read I should. I think from a risk management perspective I will avoid this venture all together. These drones are not meant for this and besides many things can and do go wrong.
Thanks for the comments!!

I've been experimenting with my Phantom 2 carrying banners and I've learned a lot. Number one... hanging a stationary banner in a hover is unstable and burns through batteries faster and is limited to a small audience. Location, location where to best market? The beach business community. Where to fly? over the breakwater. Maximum viewing exposure. Horizontal flight while towing a flying banner or flag has the drone in a stable flight configuration and generating more lift. I've flown my flag in 15 mph ocean breezes and the drone was stable and the flag flew beautifully.
The tow line has to be at the exact CG of the aircraft and long enough to be out of the prop wash. I have plans to try this. I'm taking the FAA commercial which is a formality, I'm a licensed pilot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20