Banner advertising

Reaction score
Calling all engineers!!

I'm looking to make a banner to advertise me as a realtor on the beach.
I strung up some posters and flew them vertically with no problems.

I'm thinking the best way to do it is fly the banner horizontally like a plane banner.

The sign designer I spoke to says he has a mesh material he can print on at any length.

What is everyone's thoughts?? Length, stability, distance from drone, weight, string material?

I've put some of the mesh material on order to test out.

What? With a quadcopter?

Sorry... but... LOL.

Use a RC plane, not a multirotor. You need to go a certain speed for the banner to work, a plane will do that, multirotor, not so much, plus, any drag on anything will cut down flight times, so your 10-20 min flights will be drastically reduced. also safety, just wow to even consider these toys to do that.

You're better off just heading down to the beach and flying around. People will flock to you and you can hand them a card after answering all of their questions about the Phantom. More personal and probably a better lead anyway. We have a place there so I might see you out there in July. We can race them down the beach and double the crowd gathering exposure. :lol:

Do it like Bill Moore aka Cash and hire a banner plane. He's a family friend.

gfredrone said:
You're better off just heading down to the beach and flying around. People will flock to you and you can hand them a card after answering all of their questions about the Phantom. We have a place there so I might see you out there in July. We can race them down the beach and double the crowd gathering exposure. :lol:

Do it like Bill Moore aka Cash and hire a banner plane. He's a family friend.

Awesome! Well Cash has a little more cash than I do lol. Plane banners are about $350/hour. Just thinking outside the box here.

As far as safety, I would be over the water, not actually over the people.

Cr8tive_leo said:
What? With a quadcopter?

Sorry... but... LOL.

Use a RC plane, not a multirotor. You need to go a certain speed for the banner to work, a plane will do that, multirotor, not so much, plus, any drag on anything will cut down flight times, so your 10-20 min flights will be drastically reduced. also safety, just wow to even consider these toys to do that.

I think you might be thinking a big larger than one I'm thinking. I'm not thinking about 100ft long, 200 pound banner. Something lightweight, but noticeable over the water.

Trial attempts went well. See pic

Attachments

• rsz_20140612_103304.jpg
    rsz_20140612_103304.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 1,331
Cr8tive_leo said:
You need to go a certain speed for the banner to work, a plane will do that, multirotor, not so much.

I've gotten mine up to 48mph. Obviously that's without anything dragging it. But I'm assuming you wouldn't want anything more than 15-20 mph anyways or else it would be too hard to read whats on the sign.
This is what trial and error is for!

I won't lie I've thought about doing the same thing but on a windy beach I think it would be pretty dicey.

The idea is cool but not w/a Phantom. Dragging a banner would screw with stability, when each motor reacts to resistance it'll pitch and roll to offest resistance from a banner. You don't have to search to far within these threads to see all the stability issues when flying in winds etc. Add a banner and we'll soon be reading your story of "Phantom down while flying over beach".

Get yourself a cheap RC plane to do your banner advertising.

bronk33, there is a startup that claims to offer such a service -- also offering franchising opportunities:
http://www.dronecast.us

I'm not sure how they pulled this off since they are a US company. Commercial use of a drone is banned by the FAA without exemption. While you probably could jump through the FAA hoops and get an exemption, you will need a private pilot license to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31