Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Banding on video - not sure if lens hood will rectify?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by philchan1974, Aug 21, 2016.

1. philchan1974

Hi - newbie here. Have done a search for similar topics, but haven't found anything close (that or the video people use to illustrate has been deleted).

I'm hoping that this has to do with the camera sensor shutter/aperture issues - I know i read somewhere that the camera has a period of adjustment once exposed to really bright light.

Here is the video: Dropbox - august 21.mov

Now one thing to note - prior to this, i had issues with the gimbal. It was pointed down, and wouldn't adjust up to a 90 degree angle for a straight view. This combined with a prior video skipping sections (i pulled this from the the on board card, not app video)

Is this a issue with the camera, the exposure or both?

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

You have the sun shining through the props onto the lens and the bands are shadows of the spinning props.
    If you faced the opposite direction, they would have gone.

Pharm likes this.
  3. philchan1974

Thanks. I did think this, and thought it may be a possibility, but didn't know.

Would anything have helped this? Lens shadE?

4. Monte55

I had the same issue with my gopro camera. I made a short lens hood out of black paper. Works fine.

5. Pharm

Lens shade, MAYBE, but only at a very narrow angle where the shade was blocking the sun. Since the shade has to flare outward to stay out of camera view, it would be a minor improvement, if any. This is usually only evident when facing the sun in early morning or late afternoon. Remedies: Turn away from the sun or fly later in the morning or earlier in the afternoon.

6. philchan1974

Good. I will take all these suggestions. Thank you for your help!

7. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, the dreaded "sun banding". Sun shades or ND filters work well. You can easily make a sun shield from paper, card stock or thin plastic. Just be sure its black. I used a sharpie marker on thin card stock.

8. LK8472

I haven't used a shade but I can vouch for the ND filters working very well. 100% gone with the ND4 and ND8. I'm not sure about the polarized just because I rarely use it.

9. philchan1974