Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Banding in video

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Wizaerd, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Wizaerd

I flew my P3P on n iOS 9.02 iPad Air 2, and when the camera was pointed in the same direction as the sun, I notice some real bad banding in the video. What camera settings should I be looking at to prevent this in the future?

Dropbox - DJI_0001.00_02_34_22.Still001.png

2. Wibble

I had the same - avoid flying into the sun is what I was told although I am sure frame rate etc would have something to do with it

3. Wizaerd

Well the weird thing is it was between 12-1pm, and as such the sun should've been more overhead. It was a POI so was rotating 360 degrees... but it was certain when the camera was in one particular spot of the orbit... Now that I think about it, there was a great deal of water in that direction, so perhaps the reflection of the sun off the water?

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There are many, many threads here on this subject. It is caused from the sun shining through the props causing shadows on camera sensor. You need a hood and or filters. The hood works for most.

Give this link a look for more info -> #6

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

You get that banding when you get shadows of the props falling across the lens.
    Simple solution is avoid filming when you are have shadows of the props falling across the lens.
    Think about where the sun is and fly a different angle.

6. Wizaerd

I see it now... bizarre the manufacturer didn;t accomodate for this... but ok, it is what it is...

7. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think he meant just don't fly into the sun, rethink the viewing angles to point away from direct sun. ;)

8. Wizaerd

No, I understand... but the sun was overhead, I wasn't necessarily flying into the sun.

Regardless, I see the other threads about this now. Now I just gotta figure out how to clean up the video...