Ban Kites!

Reaction score
I had my first crash today. I was at a small beach, finally getting out of the city to get some wider open flying in. It started off great, as I went over a marshland and got some great footage. There had been a few people flying kites when I first took off from a small park with a gazebo, so as I started to come back, I glanced at the sky for the kites and scanned the ground to see if anyone was still flying. No one. Great! I'll fly over the gazebo on the way back to a battery change landing. As I come across the top of the gazebo, all of a sudden the motors start to make a weird noise, and my P2V+ nosedives backwards and slams into a gazebo post, crashing into an empty plastic bin. As it turns out, someone had left a kite in the air and tied the string to the side of the gazebo. WHO DOES THAT?! I was enraged. You can't just leave a kite unattended and go have a meal. The string had wound its way around one of my motors, beneath the propeller, until it locked up. Luckily, I don't seem to have much damage, though my compass is acting up somewhat. I already have decided that kites are my mortal enemy, and this just reinforces that. Normally, when I fly in the park, there is a group of guys who fly at least 5 kites, and they cut off half of the large field. I am strongly considering securely attaching a small piece of metal beneath the props, on each motor. Nothing too sharp, but just enough to easily cut any kite string that starts to wind around any of my props.

Here is the video: https://vimeo.com/101887258

BAN KITES!

These are the moments that carbon fibre props are priceless.

Read some of my posts, most of them are very serious and I dont use sarcasm.
I have no time for sarcasm at all, I just dont get it.

Flying kites should be illegal!! At my local beach flying a kite is actually illegal along with some other dumb laws like throwing a football and digging a hole in the sand. I can fly the P2 there for now until they pass another dumb law.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

So you're from Ireland and you don't get sarcasm.

Did your parents prevent you from even grabbing a subtle whiff of Monty Python?

Gilbert Gomes said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

Quite the opposite, I fear he overdosed on that stuff. Now he slips it in so effortlessly some people don't even notice :D

Gee, thinking of many, many years ago when I last flew a kite it was so windy there is no way I would be flying my quad.

OI Photography said:
Gilbert Gomes said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

Quite the opposite, I fear he overdosed on that stuff. Now he slips it in so effortlessly some people don't even notice :D

When it comes to sarcasm I feel like I'm in the movie inception, am I in the 3rd level of sarcasm? Sarcasm within sarcasm? Ah feck it I give up, its the leprechaun's round for guinness and shots!
Dont know much about Monty Python but I did hear them little green feckers arguing amongst themselves saying "I'm Brian, no I'm Brian" havent the foggiest what they were going on about..,. :)

At least you get bonus points for crashing right in that bucket. Was it easier to carry the wreckage home?

planedr said:
At least you get bonus points for crashing right in that bucket. Was it easier to carry the wreckage home?

haha. I was pretty impressed at the perfect bucket landing. Luckily, all I needed was to reseat the compass. Otherwise, I would have gone on a kite killing spree.

You are braver than me to fly your quad with so many people (and children) around. I'm new at this, but I really try to make sure that people are not near the quad in operation. Yesterday I did a video in a park for a special hobby program I'm involved with. A couple hundred yards away was a playground and as soon as the quad lifted and was shooting video of the garden, dads with kids just had to make their way over to see the cool "drone". So I quickly landed before they got to my area. When they left, I went back to my "hobby". Just too many things can go wrong unexpectedly (and quickly) for me to take unnecessary risk.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Wow! Are you saying you have the law on your side more than a kite flyer? Grow up!

He's a card holding member

Attachments

• PS_0036W_NATIONAL_SOCIETY.jpg
    PS_0036W_NATIONAL_SOCIETY.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 271

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic