balls hang loose

Reaction score
The damper balls between the two mounting plates on my gimbal keep popping loose. I can be an aggressive flier and it's not uncommon for all four to come loose in a crash but one or two can come loose even in a slightly harder than normal landing. I'm lucky that I read a suggestion to insert a couple of loose cable ties as back ups. I've flown more than once with the gimbal swinging by just the cable ties. My toolkit now includes some small screwdrivers so I can stuff the balls back into the plates.

Does anyone have a suggestion for reducing the occurrences of the balls popping loose. I've thought of some kind of plug to fill the holes in each end without affecting the dampening action of the center section.

Stop going commando

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Replace them if you've crashed. They aren't designed to be pulled in and out more than a couple times. From my experience, once they get removed and replaced twice then are too loose to trust. Just order a new set and stop crashing and landing hard. I have hundreds of flights on my phantoms and have never crashed or landed hard. Not bragging, just saying be a little more careful!

laselvasurf said:
Replace them if you've crashed. They aren't designed to be pulled in and out more than a couple times. From my experience, once they get removed and replaced twice then are too loose to trust. Just order a new set and stop crashing and landing hard. I have hundreds of flights on my phantoms and have never crashed or landed hard. Not bragging, just saying be a little more careful!
I've removed and re-installed mine dozens of times, and they still fit just fine-not loose.
However, on the 2 lateral balls, I run 2 small zip ties through each one. This stops the balls from popping completely out in the event of a hard landing or crash. I use 2 because if 1 breaks-you still have another, and they're small.
I've made quite a few firm landings, and not popped out the balls. I see no point in replacing them anytime soon, as they still do the same job they did 170 flights ago.

I have the gray ones, and the white one-but nobody has ever been able to explain exactly what the numbers on the packaging mean? One says 45 degree's, and I think another says 30 degrees(white balls)...is that temp in F, or C, or what??

I've tried the gray ones, and they seemed to jiggle a bit more than the black. Haven't tried the white ones yet-they seem the softest.

I would say at a guess they are deflection angles. A set with 30° will probably compress and expand though a 30° angle range of movement.

Ozzyguy said:
I would say at a guess they are deflection angles. A set with 30° will probably compress and expand though a 30° angle range of movement.
OK...that makes sense, I guess. But, I still haven't found anything "official" that tells me anything about them.
Everyone just says; "use the black ones".....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4