Balloon chasing

Reaction score
It's getting to be more the weather where hot air balloons are being seen more often. Wondering if any have doing some video of the balloons and if so any guidelines on doing so. Obviously it presents a significant danger to get spinning props too close to a balloon so I'm very cautious but would love to hear if others are doing this with their P3's.

My mom lives near Albuquerque and they have a very large balloon fiesta there each year. Drones are banned within a 4 mile radius and it gets a TFR designation from the FAA. The balloons drift well outside of the 4 mile radius (flying very low over many homes of course) and I have heard that the balloon pilots have been reporting drones to authorities even if outside the TFR.

Its sort of a shame since drone video of hot air balloons would be fantastic if done safely.

Do those balloons have cameras? They better not be flying over my property taking pictures of my kids! :)

Reactions: Dronebow
Makes sense in New Mexico. The Balloon Fiesta there is massive. Mixing in drones would be a nightmare. But I do want to get some balloon video so I'll have to keep a look out for when folks are doing it here. I think as long as you keep your distance and never cause concern with the balloon pilots it should be ok.

Here's another, for your viewing pleasure...

Next best thing to being there. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Obviously others have done so...

RedHotPoker

Last one.
2015 Central Texas Balloon Festival
The 2015 Central Texas Balloon Festival was held at the Mansfield **** in Austin, TX. Almost *6* balloons (can you believe a whole 7 ?!) took to the skys. We put our DJI Inspire 1 up to capture some great shots!

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Dronebow
Here's another, for your viewing pleasure...

Next best thing to being there. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Great footage. Weird that you are so close and hardly anyone bats an eye at the drone flying overhead. :)

None of these fine aerial footage examples are my own.
I only posted them for you and others to see and enjoy.
The last one was pulled from their website...
Videos - DroneTex
There are not a lot of examples that are as nice as these few. But I'm sure there are plenty I haven't seen already.

RedHotPoker

Those Hot Air Balloon festivals really piss me off, cuz you know they are carrying people with cameras, and those cameras are spying on me.... They should be outlawed... lololol

Reactions: unclejas
Those Hot Air Balloon festivals really piss me off, cuz you know they are carrying people with cameras, and those cameras are spying on me.... They should be outlawed... lololol

... and they could deflate quickly.... killing all occupants... wait, that HAS happened... no drone deaths.... WHAT????? Could a balloon deflate... hit a bird... and the bird flies erratically into a plane in the airspace immediately adjacent and kill all aboard? Somebody... I Say... somebody needs to call CNN.

... and they could deflate quickly.... killing all occupants... wait, that HAS happened... no drone deaths.... WHAT????? Could a balloon deflate... hit a bird... and the bird flies erratically into a plane in the airspace immediately adjacent and kill all aboard? Somebody... I Say... somebody needs to call CNN.
And I'm pretty sure they don't adhere to the 400' limit either...

Sure you can see people fly around hot air balloons, but have you seen a drone fly inside a hot air balloon?

This was a local balloon festival back in 2012.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sure you can see people fly around hot air balloons, but have you seen a drone fly inside a hot air balloon?

This was a local balloon festival back in 2012.

If they are safe inside... they are surely safe outside!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik