BALLISTIC CHUTE FOR PHANTOM

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a ballistic chute for Phantoms that is practical? I saw one in and ad, but it used a spring that made it pretty heavy. It seems that a nitrogen cartridge would work better to deploy the chute.

There are a few out there but most use a spring like the mars mini does or they just drop from gravity like a mars lite does with no spring.

But the idea of using a nitrogen cartridge to launch out the chute is going to end up being the same weight added back in that would be saved from a spring that was a few grams being taken out of the picture. Then tiny cartridges that are about the size of a 5 gram co2 cartridge are really thick walled carbon steel and pretty heavy compared a spring.

Then you would also need some way for it to open the cartridge to fire the chute out so thats more added engineering and weight to do what a spring does and does very well. A spring is also reusable unlike if it took gas cartridges. Tho I have been thinking about another way of makeing one of them tube style launchers that uses some thing more like a rubber band or elastic to shoot it out like a sling shot instead of with a metal spring to put the bottom plate up to push out the chute. which would take down weight and take up less space inside the tube yet would still be strong enough to launch the chute and clear the tube.

Tho if you poke around the forum there are two threads that have been active lately about some different chute systems. as well as the new mayday auto deployment board which can be used to detect a crash situation or a fall then can activate the chute deployment.

Thanks for the reply. It's just something I have been thinking about to help take out some of the fear of a crash and ruining our day.

Reactions: J.James
According to "common" point of view about drones, if you put a "firing cartridge" on it you should then need a special license or similar to be allowed to...

That figures. Maybe we need an air bag that pops open like the ones in our cars.

Reactions: J.James
I wonder if some thing like an air bag would be legal to have on a drone. Being they are activated by an explosive charge. Tho rocket people use tiny pyrotechal charges to deploy chutes. Tho I don't know if they need any extra licenses or permits to make there own charges.

But I have seen some bigger chute systems for larger drones that use gas cartridges to launch the chute. but dont recall them saying any thing about any regulations or laws against them.

But I did also see one more new way to deploy a chute in a spring loaded tube that took out the weight of a servo and used what they called fuse technology and a replaceable fuse of some kind that when it burns out it physically releases the catch that holds the lid open. I looked like it was just a tiny section of wire that melts when power is shorted across it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20