Balancing self-tightening props

brorex said:
Itchybeard could I get in on the collars for the motor? I've have had muscleflex's rod for quite some time now and love it. Wouldn't buy from anyone else as he's just a good guy

Hi, Brorex

I'm afraid that our friend muscleflex doesn't make the collars, otherwise I would have bought them from him. That is why I'm having four sets made by my machinist. Three sets are already spoken for. Do you want the last set? It means that you'd have to buy them from me. If you want them then say so now, otherwise someone else will claim them.

allemtura said:
I'd love to see a video of the lacquer being applied because I'm just as newbie as Justin when it comes to balancing props.

I definitely want to do this but I lack the technique. :)

Hi, Al

I don't have a Youtube account at present, but I am planning on creating one quite soon in order to share my aerial videos and my limited knowledge of the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. If you are prepared to wait then I will see what I can do. If not then you should follow my example. Buy a Dubro prop balancer and start experimenting. It's not difficult and the benefits of balanced props are clear to see. From my experience I can tell you that the aircraft sounds and feels completely different with accurately balanced props.

Just get a muscleflex rod, a Dubro balancer, a small spirit level and a tin of clear (or white) spray lacquer from a model shop.

1. Level the base of the balancer on the edge of a table and then level the shaft in the balancer. Making sure that the prop can "hang over" the edge of the table (see the photo in my OP).
2. Screw the prop onto the shaft and place the shaft in the balancer.
3. Give the prop a gentle nudge (not enough for a full rotation). Any weight bias will become readily apparent because the heavy blade will fall to the bottom.
4. Remove the shaft and prop and spray some lacquer onto a q-tip. Then smear a thin layer onto the underside of the light blade at the tip end.
5. Place the shaft back into the balancer and repeat the process to see how much the bias has been reduced.
6. Repeat until the bias has gone, you can tell when this has happened as the prop will stop in a random position after a nudge and neither blade will show any tendency to fall.
7. If you put too much lacquer on then just scrape a little bit off with a sharp modeling knife, but only do this at the trailing edge of the blade. Never sand or scrape the leading edge.

I hope this makes sense. I have had a fair bit of experience in machine shops and doing automotive engineering, including balancing wheels for high performance cars. So I found the whole process easy and familiar, but I'm sure a man of your calibre will be able to pick it up without a problem ;)

All the best

Itchy

itchybeard said:
brorex said:
Itchybeard could I get in on the collars for the motor? I've have had muscleflex's rod for quite some time now and love it. Wouldn't buy from anyone else as he's just a good guy

Hi, Brorex

I'm afraid that our friend muscleflex doesn't make the collars, otherwise I would have bought them from him. That is why I'm having four sets made by my machinist. Three sets are already spoken for. Do you want the last set? It means that you'd have to buy them from me. If you want them then say so now, otherwise someone else will claim them.

Yes I meant to say I wouldn't buy the rods from anyone else saw someone posted a eBay Link for rods. I will certainly buy the set of collars. Thanks

brorex said:
Yes I meant to say I wouldn't buy the rods from anyone else saw someone posted a eBay Link for rods. I will certainly buy the set of collars. Thanks

Okay then, Brorex, the last set are yours. I'll PM you when I get them to arrange payment and delivery.

itchybeard said:
brorex said:

Okay then, Brorex, the last set are yours. I'll PM you when I get them to arrange payment and delivery.

Thanks a lot

itchybeard said:
brorex said:

Any word on these?

Hi Itchy,

I've been balancing my props with lacquer today which seems to be going well. However does the now slightly tacky feel to the underside of the blade cause any issues with drag out of curiosity?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31