Balancing props with tape

Reaction score
I just switched to three bladed props and found that the sanding balancing method I use on two blade props was not efficient.

I've switched to using tape to balance the three blade props. My question is: Where is the optimal spot to add tape? I've been adding mine to the tips thinking that because of the leverage it would take less weight. But are there other factors here that I'm not taking into account? Where (top or bottom of blade) and on what part of the blade are folks adding tape? Also what type of tape is being used?

DaveT1 said:
I just switched to three bladed props and found that the sanding balancing method I use on two blade props was not efficient.

I've switched to using tape to balance the three blade props. My question is: Where is the optimal spot to add tape? I've been adding mine to the tips thinking that because of the leverage it would take less weight. But are there other factors here that I'm not taking into account? Where (top or bottom of blade) and on what part of the blade are folks adding tape? Also what type of tape is being used?

Some people who use the Du Bro prop balancer jump though all kinds of hoops to balance their props. Some sand or scrape material off the prop. I frown upon that method because once you remove material from a prop and then discover that you removed too much, it's usually too late to do anything about it. You can then scrape the other blade, but how far can you go with that until you have a useless prop on your hands.

I have discovered that the heavier blade is usually heavier by very little. What I do is to take a small piece of Scotch tape that I calculate to be more than I need and apply it to the back of the lighter blade letting some extend over the edge of the blade. I then cut off small slivers until the blade balances. Once the blade has balanced I remove the tape and reposition it so all of it is on the back of the blade. Then I rub the tape down until I feel that it has adhered well to the blade.

There you have it. Simple and effective . . . and if you don't get the results that you want, just remove the tape and start all over. You cannot go wrong.

I have the tri blades. I add tape closer to the hub if I want a very slight balance effect or closer to the tip if a want a greater balance effect. tape is mostly stuck to the underside with a little bit going over the front of the blade to reduce the chances of it coming off. Hope this helps.

I use tri blades as well. I use "hinge tape" it's heavier and easier to remove. I apply it to the back side of the prop in the center generally. If you don't have hinge tape use the heavier clear packaging tape...the thin scotch tape does not come off in one piece and you have to use too many multiple pieces. The lighter blade will naturally go to the top the two heavier blades are lower..the one being the lowest is of course the heaviest. Balance the two lowest blades so the lightest blade is sticking up perfectly vertical. Once that is done add tape to the lightest blade (the one that is perfectly vertical) until you can stop that blade in any position. Keep your hands away from the balancer due to the effects of static electricity. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav