Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Balancing Props Against the Other 3 Props

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Cacc, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Cacc

I have been flying single propeller RC planes for many years so I know the advantage and necessity of balancing props. But coming from the plane world, I don't have much experience in the way of multi-rotor aircraft. I follow the same steps that I always have where I sand until the one side of the propeller is perfectly balanced to the other (less worry about the hub, but I do check that too from time to time).

A question for those that have flown multi-rotor aircraft for a while, is it necessary to balance the propeller against the other three? If you are sanding a fine amount off of one, it now has a slightly different weight and shape than the rest. Do this put extra stress on one of the motors (or the other three) and does this affect flight or the camera at all? I have not noticed any issues thus far and quite frankly the Phantom itself is not exactly balanced itself (which I assume is what the IMU calibration determines)...

2. rmfa

The balance is for one rotor. You don't have to balance each rotor to the other rotors. You are thinking too hard about this.

3. rmfa

Honestly, that doesn't even make sense. How would you know how much to shave off the other rotors?

4. snerd

Well, that's why he asked the question. Now he knows! ;)

Coldfire likes this.
  5. Cacc

DEFINITELY way over thinking this, but that is what the mind does at the wee hours of the night.

That is why I am curious about it. If you were to hang a 200g whatever on one of the arms, the sensors would increase thrust to that motor and it's two neighbouring motors to compensate (so with not accurate numbers just for example with 70% being the normal baseline: heavy arm would be running at 90%, the two neighbours at 80%, and the opposite at the standard 70%). Now the motors have less power to give when moving, but also will constantly be recompensating. With how sensitive those sensors are, does a fraction of a gram actually make a difference? Unless it was a severe difference it would not be noticed by the user, but does it put any extra stress on the motors or internals. Than again, when you slice through a few flies do you now have to worry about those splatters doing the same thing.

This is all hypothetical and getting into decimals, but the effects could be real when the weight is off and the airflow around a prop is now changed. If this was a precise machine it would of course actually mean something, but this could also be contributing to the "jello" effect that some people are seeing...

6. tvckz

So... you want to attach smth to your drone. Not a smart move if you have P3P. I liked one guru message uphere, stating "Do not attach anything to your Phantom - it is not a quacopter, it looks like quadcopter, but it is not. It is just flying camera with 4 propellers". P3 is already balanced.

I am pretty sure you have to visit self made drone forum, not a Phantom one to get a proper answer. Phantom it is a magic out of the box - do not touch it and it will work excellent.

7. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

You weigh em . It don't matter but that's how you would do it .:)

8. edonovanl

Motors make up for any weight differential

9. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

I know that was just answering the question :)
    Like I said ..it don't matter .