Balanced props

Reaction score
Hi. How much important it is to use proper balanced props and what is the best method to do it. Thanks

:D balanced props are very important, here's some good info:

WillU said:
Just did a couple test I thought you guys might be interested in. I'm by no means an expert, so I'd love to hear your guys' opinions and thoughts. I really wanted to like the carbon fiber props but was mostly surprised by the set of counterfeit phantom 2 props I purchased.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2DbKyZsRxM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gBX8NNPtvs[/youtube]

Well, unless you want a flying weeble wobble, I'd say prop balancing is very important. Ok so it might not be that crazy with some unbalanced props, but it's never fun to fly a phantom that drifts around too much or has poor control because of an unbalanced prop. As for the best way to balance props, I guess use a good prop balancer? Not sure what other methods would be in question really. :?

Thanks. I recently got a set of XOXO 9450 props, and for what I have read those needs special attention to their balance. Once determined that a prop need to be balanced, how to do it?

phantomi said:
Thanks. I recently got a set of XOXO 9450 props, and for what I have read those needs special attention to their balance. Once determined that a prop need to be balanced, how to do it?

Yea, I have a set of those xoxo props and they're way off balance. As for balancing them, here's good video that explains it pretty good. Not much too it really, just put them on the balancer so the blades are horizontal to the ground and the heavier side will tend to rotate the prop clockwise or counter clockwise. The heavier side gets scrubbed with a fine grained sandpaper and put back on the balancer until the prop stays level or close to level at least. Anyways, here's the vid.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdVa0jWowI[/youtube]

I have found that adding a small amount of scotch tape on the top side of the lightest end of the prop works well. The farther you place the tape toward the end, the less tape you need to use. Much quicker than sanding as well.

I got to admit this P3 is really spoiling me, I've been having so much fun flying, that I neglected some routine maintenance that I would've neglected with my P2V+. What I'm talking about is checking for balanced props. As the other contributors of this thread has already reiterated.
But today due to rain, I decided to check my props just to see if they were balanced. To my surprise not one single prop used or unused was passed. This surprised me because the last set of props for my P2V+ I got from DJI were dead on perfectly balanced right out of the packaging. With a little bit of fine sanding 320 and 600 grit I was able to balance both sets. And to my surprise in with the unused props in the bag was an extra black prop. So in all I was sent 9 props. Now if my P3 was flying great before, I can't wait to see if I can tell the difference with balanced props, but even if there is no appreciable difference in my point of view I will still continue the practice of keeping the props balanced because it is one of the things I can do that can only help the performance

I think there was a thread here where there was debate that the vibration from really badly balanced props could potentially cause errors with the IMU. After all, its whole job is to detect movement, so too much vibration could be potentially a problem for it. I don't know if it was proven, but it seemed logically possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers