Balance Props

Reaction score
I wonder how many balance the props on their quadcopter? I am planning on trying it. I don't have a camera.

I check every prop on my Du-bro. Even with the supposedly "aways balanced" dji props, about 1 out of every 4 will need some minor balancing. If you're not flying with a camera it's really not that crucial.

Balancing your props is a good idea -- even if you don't have a camera. It'll make your motors and gimbal work less.

I use the SpeedyTM prop balancer to balance my props. It's a great choice since it's relatively in expensive and comes with everything need.

Here's a link to a list of prop balancers and prop rods that are compatible with the Phantom:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Last edited:
Balancing your props is a good idea -- even if you don't have a camera. It'll make your motors and gimbal work less.

I use the SpeedyTM prop balancer to balance my props. It's a great choice since it's relatively in expensive and comes with everything need.

Here's a link to a list of prop balancers and prop rods that are compatible with the Phantom:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Will this cut down on the noise? I feel like the more I fly the louder it gets.

I don't think the noise difference will be noticeable -- unless they are really unbalanced. Most props are just off balance by a bit out of the box.

If you think Phantom props are loud, you should hear an Inspire 1 :D

I don't think the noise difference will be noticeable -- unless they are really unbalanced. Most props are just off balance by a bit out of the box.

If you think Phantom props are loud, you should hear an Inspire 1 :D

Worth the $30?

I have balanced my props. All of them were off a little bit. I wonder if I will see anything different.

Unbalanced: motors work harder (batteries drain quicker, motors wear/heat more, noisier)

Also unbalanced props produce more prop noise.

Sky walker, what proof do you have for all those adverse effects with unbalanced props? I've flown a P2V for 2 years with no problems and have never balanced the props.

Great Pumpkin, many of those things aren't easily noticeable unless your props are really out of balance. The point to take home is that your Phantom will run more efficiently and prevent unnecessary wear when the props are perfectly balanced. A prop balancer is a great investment. Everyone should consider purchasing one.

Reactions: kirk2579 and volito
Prop balancing is very common in RC/hobby. I´d never fly a copter or a plane without balanced props, ask around and many will tell you the same. It´s now becoming usual with drones as well, and for many good reasons (do some searching and you´ll see how this goes in real life). High rpm + unbalanced props = problems will arise at some point.

If you fly non-DJI props, i´d say it´s mandatory. If you use only DJI props (I do), it´s still a good investment because I come across a few off-balance props sometimes. Just a little, but I still get those right and if you have a balancer why not eh.

It´s cheap, and another skill worth developing if you take your hobby (and your investment) seriously. Buy a DuBro and you´re set for life if you take good care.

Reactions: Pete Leare
Prop balancing is very common in RC/hobby. I´d never fly a copter or a plane without balanced props, ask around and many will tell you the same. It´s now becoming usual with drones as well, and for many good reasons (do some searching and you´ll see how this goes in real life). High rpm + unbalanced props = problems will arise at some point.

If you fly non-DJI props, i´d say it´s mandatory. If you use only DJI props (I do), it´s still a good investment because I come across a few off-balance props sometimes. Just a little, but I still get those right and if you have a balancer why not eh.

It´s cheap, and another skill worth developing if you take your hobby (and your investment) seriously. Buy a DuBro and you´re set for life if you take good care.
+1

I'm picking up a Du-Bro balancer tomorrow. What else do I need to balance the DJI props that do not have a hole completely through the prop hub?

Sky walker, what proof do you have for all those adverse effects with unbalanced props? I've flown a P2V for 2 years with no problems and have never balanced the props.

30 years of engineering. Anything unbalanced in a mechanical system increases friction and uses more energy.

Friction (mechanical and aerodynamic) produces loss in the system. And wastes energy, losing it as heat and noise. Motors work harder and draw more current, draining batteries sooner.
You may not notice it, but it's there. (If you've never tweaked the system, how could you notice a difference?)

Reactions: kirk2579

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20