Balance Charger flashing odd sequence of lights - SOLVED

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was charging my three Phantom-branded batteries on my BC20-4 Balance charger today. The first two charged no problem.

When I plugged the third battery in to the charger, connecting first the red/black leads, then the 3S port, then the power cord, the LEDs started a different sequence and the battery wouldn't charge.

The sequence:

1) All LEDs on
2) Cells Equailizer LEDs off/Charge Status LED on
3) Charge Status off/2S LED on
4) Charge Status on/2S off
4) Charge Status off/2S on
5) All LEDs off

Then the sequence repeats again. (Same sequence regardless of the 1A/2A/3A setting; other switch is in LiPo)

When I checked the manual, I see that a single flash means the battery is being balanced, but this is not a single flash.

And now regardless of which battery I connect, the light sequence is the same.

Help!

Re: Balance Charger flashing odd sequence of lights

Manual also say that you should start connecting the AC and see a green "ready" light - then connect battery. I've seen kind of all sorts of led sequences, but eventually always end up charging normally. Just let it process the balancing sequence - can take some time, especially if you have drained down your LiPo completely...

So that sequence of lights is just the balancing sequence?

I'll switch the order of connection and let a battery sit on the charger today with this sequence of lights and see where it goes.

Thanks Lav.

Well, it's been plugged in with a battery for 9 hours now and no change in the sequence of lights. I emailed DJI but haven't heard anything back from them. Really hoping the pilots community here can help out ...

mntnmike said:
Well, it's been plugged in with a battery for 9 hours now and no change in the sequence of lights. I emailed DJI but haven't heard anything back from them. Really hoping the pilots community here can help out ...

Check your TX60 connector (large yellow one)on the charger - I've had the solder joint on mine come lose on charger twice now before replacing it.

EMCSQUAR said:
Check your TX60 connector (large yellow one)on the charger - I've had the solder joint on mine come lose on charger twice now before replacing it.

I admit it sounds strange... and I would anyway make a ticket for Dji/your retailer.
If the TX60 solder joints come lose then it should equal the situation that it is not connected at all - you could check that by only connecting the balance cable and see if you get the same led pattern

Lav said:
EMCSQUAR said:

I admit it sounds strange... and I would anyway make a ticket for Dji/your retailer.
If the TX60 solder joints come lose then it should equal the situation that it is not connected at all - you could check that by only connecting the balance cable and see if you get the same led pattern

So I connected just the TX60 connector and the light on the charge still blinks green for ready. When I unplug the TX60 and plug in just the balance cable, the led pattern begins.

So you're saying that means the solder connections in the TX60 are bad? They don't wiggle or give at all.

Does anyone know (or could check) what is the voltage coming out of the battery charger? Still trying to resolve this problem...

Solved. Turns out at some point, I inserted the banana plugs reversed, and it the fuse tape burned on the negative lead on the circuit board.

Found the solution here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6WWeF-_cds

Easy fix with solder, but forever ensures that the fuse tape will never burn again. Tried putting a mini 5A fuse in the charger, but there is just no room.

While proper attention to the banana plugs will ensure it won't happen again, a true female connector for the red lead and a male connector for the black lead would have been a smarter design, especially considering the volatility of LiPo batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik