Bag/Backpack for Phantom

I've posted my bag before but seriously I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have a perfect mold of the Phantom inside but it is configurable and is padded everywhere. It was designed to carry around the RED Epic camera and such for a company called Cinebag. Its super durable and tons of room yet still could conform to airline standards if you were going to carry it on (which I am doing next month). I use it tons and its been great. I lucked out and got it for 90 bucks on crags list.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.18.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.18.48 PM.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.19.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.19.00 PM.png
    431.5 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.22.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 5.22.27 PM.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 1,297
JustJames said:
I've posted my bag before but seriously I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have a perfect mold of the Phantom inside but it is configurable and is padded everywhere. It was designed to carry around the RED Epic camera and such for a company called Cinebag. Its super durable and tons of room yet still could conform to airline standards if you were going to carry it on (which I am doing next month). I use it tons and its been great. I lucked out and got it for 90 bucks on crags list.

Do you know the model type?

WAY TO MUCH MONEY!!!

Pluck foam is the cheapest foam around. About $5.00 worth in that case.

phantomman said:
Hey everyone, we've now got the BackPacker cases online, we're accepting pre-orders now. http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/quadco ... m-backpack

We've been testing our sample and it's great, we're very excited to be getting these in! Have a look at our video where we're checking it out: https://vimeo.com/89871682

Thanks,

Esme at FirstPersonView.co.uk

Looking good. When will it be out?
I will be leaving to Mallorca in one month and would love to have this one before tha1!

//Daniel

Hey guys, I am Bravia3D from the rcgroups forum.
I own a small net business where my wife makes cushion pads for the Sony HMZ and FatShark goggles, and she makes an iPad holder for the Phantom Vision as well..
I been debating about making a backpack that holds the Phantom, Phantom 2 and Phantom Vision for quite some time now. I been rearching and came across this site and thread. I myself been wanting a backpack to carry all my gear when I hike places. It's a pain lugging around a hardcase!

So I came across this, http://tinypic.com/r/29asdwj/8
It is a Coleman backpack they sell here in Japan where I live. Not only is it a backpack, but it also has a handle that comes up and wheels so you can pull it behind you which is a great bonus. Get tired of carrying it and just take it off and pull!
I can get these a bit unfinished from Coleman Japan and my wife sews them together. They are pretty high quality bags and can hold much.
I was considering making them into Phantom backpacks and selling them. I could cut the foam and install it in there and even have a strap that would go over the Phantom to hold it in place better.
The problem is, it would be quite expensive for shipping to countries from Japan, I am guessing about $65 using EMS. I'd have to sell them for about $260 or a bit more due to the packs cost, labor and including shipping.
The pack could easily hold the Phantom, remote, batteries, FPV gear and more.
What do you guys think?

A cheaper solution would be to get a plastic or cardboard box container, add some cushions and slide it into another pack I found that is much cheaper. While this would work, I think the Coleman is much better.

By the way, someone mentioned pluck foam is cheap. That is correct but it is good to use that for this hobby instead of cutting. The reason is because with pluck foam you can upgrade easy if you add more items. Very easy to remove extra sponge when needed!

After careful consideration and research, I have decided not to make a Phantom backpack with pre-cut foam or pluck foam. I found many good packs that could hold the Phantom easily but they were just to expensive. I also feel just sticking foam into a bag though cut into the shape to hold the Phantom, remote and batteries just isn't good enough protection. Looking at other companies designs they are basically using a cheap pack, throwing pre-cut foam into it and selling it for a large profit. Most the bags are probably only worth $25-$40 if even that. The foam is not sewn into the bag, it is just simply cut into the shape and sits in there which means it could wiggle and bounce around. Many of these packs offer no protection of the top of the Phantom itself either, it is exposed.
For instance, look at this one that was posted, http://www.goprocases.com/visionback.aspx
You can clearly see in the photos that the foam is just stuck in some backpack you can probably buy at a store or off another site much cheaper. Yes, the foam is water-jet precision cut they say, but big deal! You would be paying $239 for basically a large foam block stuffed into a cheap backpack.... The only top protection for the Phantom is the fabric when you zip it closed! There is no foam over the top and nothing to hold that Phantom in place when you are hiking or running. With no strap over the top holding it, it could bounce around a bit as you move. Drop this at the right angle, fall backwards onto a rock or a hard surface and your Phantom would be a gonner!
This one, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... antom.html
cost you $207 for a square pack with pluck foam. It is better and seems to possibly have a padded top but looks quite cheap. Just looking at it I feel if you were hiking with all your gear in there, items would be moving around and become loose. Not to mention yet again, fall down at the right angle and your Phantom is crushed.
One could easily go buy a square pack and add the pluck foam for under $60 I bet and make this yourself easily. I found many square packs like this that were about $25 and pluck foam was only $7 here in Japan.

If you have a Zenmuse attached to your Phantom, any kinda bouncing during transport is horrible! I would know this because a few months ago I stuffed pluck foam into a backpack carrying my Phantom 1 thinking it would be alright hiking up a volcano. Boy was I wrong, I got to the top ready to fly and the Zenmuse wouldn't function correctly. It was working just fine before!
The packs being sold have NO protection for the Zenmuse and Gopro, take a look at them. You sit the Phantom into the pre-cut foam and the Zenmuse and Gopro would sit in the square opening with no cushion protection at all.
Trust me, the Zenmuse needs protection as well, you do not want it vibrating around or wiggling.

So, what is good? Well... In my opinion camera backpacks would be the best for this. Camera packs are designed to hold expensive cameras and camera equipment, because of this they are very well cushioned all around. I checked some packs by Vanguard and my Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse and 3rd Axis upgrade kit fit right in there nicely with the remote and 2 batteries. It had room for plenty more also, could easily hold FPV gear and other items. Heck, it even had room for a 17" laptop! But what I really liked about it was it was padded all around, even the top lid was super padded and soft. The sides were hard and felt super strong. I could arrange the velcro cushions around to hold the Phantom, Zenmuse and remote in place with out it moving around.
I even used one large cushioned strap to wrap over the Phantom and lock it in place and another to make a small square like area to hold the Zenmuse and GoPro stationary. I then tried the pack on, jumped and shook around and NOTHING at all moved from it's place. I even ran around the store were I was testing it and the Phantom did not budge!
This pack only cost $239 and there were others for less than $200. Lowepro packs were good as well and could easily hold the Phantom and all the gear you wish to carry. There are many brands to choose from that can hold the Phantom and your gear. I saw one from Nikon that was quite nice, but couldn't hold my Phantom 2 with the extended landing skids. It could hold my other Phantom though.

Because these are well made and super cushioned I feel they are the ideal backpacks to use for the Phantom. Fall down with a Vanguard or Lowepro pack and I am pretty sure your gear inside would be very well protected. They seem very well built and super cushioned all over. Not to mention you could easily add more velcro cushions and make a cushioned strap that goes over the top of the Phantom for extra protection. Many even come with anti shock protection.

These other packs being posted on here could not live up to the quality of a good camera pack. See for yourself, go check out a good camera backpack and then come back and look at these photos posted on here of so called Phantom packs.
This is why I will not be making and selling a Phantom backpack, I do not wish to rip people off with a pack that simply has pre-cut foam or pluck foam stuffed in it. Anyone could do that crap themselves, and save tons of money also.

I myself will be buying a Vanguard in the future, since my wife is an amazing expert sewer I will have her make a cushioned cover that would go over the top of the Phantom and my other gear to hold it even better. And have her make a Zenmuse protector so it would be 100% protected from damage. Could even get her to make straps that go over the landing struts to hold it down in place. I am pretty sure she could even match the orange color of the fabric and make it totally look original! May do some other modifications, but I truly feel it would be the pack of choice for when I go on hikes in the mountains and fly. If there was demand I'd be glad to sell the cushions my wife makes for me for others to use with the pack.
Oh yeah, and many of these camera bags are waterproof and have life time warranty's!
So my opinion guys is we all have spent tons of cash for the Phantom, Zenmuse, Gopro and any other gear we are using. Just get a nice camera backpack for that $200 and don't waste it on a cheap pack with foam stuffed in it.

a0w0n9.jpg

Look at the quality of this pack, the Phantom goes in there so nicely and you can easily arrange the cushions around to hold it and the remote with other gear as well. You can even use those black straps to wrap over the top of the Phantom and lock it down in place.

Here is my $36 Coleman backpack/carry on that I bought at Walmart. I had some old packing foam lying around that I cut and glued to form the inside.

Interesting and detailed opinion. I can see your point to a degree. Whats awesome is that there is now lots of options for backpacks. Its good to have options because not everyone is going to agree on whats "the best" way to go. I have a converted camera bag as you do but I have to admit I really like the concept of the Portabrace backpack especially when used with the hardshell. It would be an expensive option bit a very complete one. I also like that you can just pull the Phantom out with props on and all and be ready to fly.

That said I do think that the Portabrace back pack needs to be improved on. It looks like it could use some straps to hold the Phantom in place incase you are doing some serious hiking as you do. Also to keep the props from pressing against the top. But over all I really like the idea. I think the combo would work well for 90% of the folks out there.

Just MHO.

JJ

LiLPhantom said:
The Ultimate Bag is hands down Gura Gears Bataflae! With so many options with our gear such as FPV screens, goggles, transmitters, ground stations etc. This sensitive expensive equipment shouldn't just go in any bag. Gura Gear eats photography equipment with the most professional photographers out there. So yes its not the cheapest, however the most protection for your Phantom fore sure, easily adjust dividers any where, so many extra spots to stow misc. gear and other components. I have the Bataflae 26l and it works! I am hiking with my gear knowing its backed, designed, and made by photographers for photographers. Get yours http://www.guragear.com/bataflae-26l/

you spent $400 on that bag? and it isn't even custom fit for the phantom? really? This is nearly half the price: http://www.goprocases.com/phantom2backp ... ition.aspx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers