Bad Vibration.. Props? Motor? electronics?

Reaction score
I ordered some new blades, which I put on my vision 2 today.. But I noticed the blades are different than the ones that came with the copter.. They are DJI Phantom part no. 26.. The blades appear shorter, and more rounded.. Anyways, I'm still getting a vibration when I'm flying.. I can see a slight bit of wobble (dipping down), between the left and right sides .. I can also hear the motors continually correcting-- ie: ongoing sound changes-- as in change of pitch.. What could be the problem? Wrong props for copter? Out of balance props? Bad motor? Bent shaft? Bad electronic component?

If you had no vibrations before the new props and the vibration started after installing the new props, that would sort of indicate your new props are the source of the problem and need to be balanced.

Here's a simple step in the troubleshooting process. Put the original props back on or are they damaged from a crash? Having a crash will affect all sorts of things, including cracking or breaking the body of the Phantom. Did you crash?

Another simple test is to remove the battery and then remove the props. For safety, I always remove the power source when working on the props just to avoid an unexpected power up of the Phantom. Once the props are removed, reinstall the battery and with the Phantom on a level and relatively smooth surface, power up the transmitter and then the Phantom and start the motors using the transmitter like you would to fly. Being careful not to touch the spinning motors. Run the motors through a full range of stick positions on the controller. Does the Phantom stay stable on the table? Or is it vibrating and dancing around? Can you tell if all the motors sound the same? If the Phantom is vibrating all over the table, then you may have a motor problem. If the motors do not sound similar, you may have motor problems, such as a bad bearing. If you have a current version of the assistant software, there is a "Test Motor" button to spin individual motors. Listen and watch for differences between the motors.

An enterprising Phantom enthusiast made a special rod to be used balancing the props of the P2 and P2 Vision. The rod has clockwise threads on one end and counterclockwise threads on the other. This rod in conjunction with a prop balancer is used to balance the P2 and P2V props. The rod is now available at retailers such as Atlanta Hobby.
http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=18287&idcategory=0

There are videos on YouTube demonstrating how to balance motors and balance props. Although props are advertised as balanced, they may not be and require you to balance them. Out of balance props will cause vibrations. For your safety and the safety of your home, don't test for vibrations with the props on the Phantom inside of your house. You are warned in the manual and in the assistant software not to do that for your safety.

My fellow colleague vision 2 pilot, pointed out to me, that the props are designed for the vision one.. They are shorter than the standard for vision 2.. Perhaps this is what's causing the vibratory problems.. I've ordered a set of new props, unfortunately, they're on back order.. God only knows if and when I'm ever going to be able to fly my copter.. I even got a message from Jason today, from DJI, saying I have to phone their service dept. before I can ship the unit back to them.. --- Even though his March e-mail to me said to ship it back to them in Hollywood.. Now it's like they're trying to create hoops for me to jump through.. Jesus, I would have shipped it back, had they not been so late in responding to my concerns.. As it was I got in touch with my dealer: multirotorheli in Calgary, who told me to send it to him.. He kept it for more than a month, and ultimately made the problem worse.. AAR, I've also ordered a couple of motors, just to be on the safe side, if the proper blades don't solve the problem.. Jesus, I've spent over 1/3 the cost of the copter, and it's still not working right.. It's too bad.. Overall I think DJI has a great product, and would have bought the vision+ in a heartbeat, if the service I've received so far for my vision2 wasn't so crappy..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers