Bad stability and low battery life since update

Reaction score
Hi friends! Ever since the update my P3P has been very unstable in the air and I've only been getting about 17 minutes per battery. I'm not flying in any winds, and there is nothing around me that would electronically affect my flights. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Bbfpv is correct, the IMU should give you the stability back. Just be sure you have enough GPS satellites before take off.

Reactions: PhillyAnt
I try to make sure I always have at least 11. I don't know if there is an official number.

The manual says to have 6 or more before flying for the p2's so the P3 has improved GPS capabilities and that number should be good to. I would verify it though. Be safe. Check out the P3 info on DJI site for wiki info. Very good.

I have been having 15 or 16 lately; so I guess that's good!

Another related question. What exactly is "IMU" and where is the info on how to recalibrate it? I've read a LOT of stuff, but that didn't register. Thanks.

The IMU is single electronics module that collects angular velocity and liner acceleration data. Basically it provide stability in the air using the sensors. IMU stands for Interial Measurment Unit.

To perform an IMU calibration, the P3 and the remote controller (RC) must be turned on with the DJI Pilot app running on the Apple IOS device, which is connected with a Lightning cable to the RC's USB port. (An Android device and appropriate USB cable can also be used - but I only have experience with Apple IOS devices.)

From the DJI Pilot app main menu screen, select Camera. There are several ways to get to the correct settings menu - the fastest is to select the "Mode" button in the upper left (to right of home symbol). This will bring up the "MC Settings" screen. Use your finger to scroll to the bottom of the MC Settings screen to reveal the "Sensors" menu item. Select "Sensors" menu item. Scroll to the bottom of the Sensors menu screen to reveal "Check IMU" and "IMU Calibration" choices.

Caution: Before starting an IMU Calibration, the P3 should be "cold" (i.e., not recently flown) and must be sitting on a firm, level surface with no vibrations, other electronics, magnets (e.g., stereo speakers) or metal nearby (this includes rebar in your concrete driveway). I use a perfectly level ceramic floor tile in my family room. Also, you must not touch, bump or move the P3 during the IMU calibration and you should minimize/avoid any floor vibrations (people walking nearby, doors slamming, spouse vacuuming in next room, etc.). Start the IMU Calibration, click through the message and warning screens. The IMU Calibration takes 3-10 minutes - there is a status bar that will eventually go to 100% - it may take a minute or two before it changes from 0%. Ensure you get an IMU Calibration complete message.

I also recommend doing a Gimbal Auto Calibration immediately after the IMU Calibration is finished with the P3 still sitting on the same level surface. This should correct any tilted horizons you may be seeing in your videos.

The IMU is single electronics module that collects angular velocity and liner acceleration data. Basically it provide stability in the air using the sensors. IMU stands for Interial Measurment Unit.

To perform an IMU calibration, the P3 and the remote controller (RC) must be turned on with the DJI Pilot app running on the Apple IOS device, which is connected with a Lightning cable to the RC's USB port. (An Android device and appropriate USB cable can also be used - but I only have experience with Apple IOS devices.)

From the DJI Pilot app main menu screen, select Camera. There are several ways to get to the correct settings menu - the fastest is to select the "Mode" button in the upper left (to right of home symbol). This will bring up the "MC Settings" screen. Use your finger to scroll to the bottom of the MC Settings screen to reveal the "Sensors" menu item. Select "Sensors" menu item. Scroll to the bottom of the Sensors menu screen to reveal "Check IMU" and "IMU Calibration" choices.

Caution: Before starting an IMU Calibration, the P3 should be "cold" (i.e., not recently flown) and must be sitting on a firm, level surface with no vibrations, other electronics, magnets (e.g., stereo speakers) or metal nearby (this includes rebar in your concrete driveway). I use a perfectly level ceramic floor tile in my family room. Also, you must not touch, bump or move the P3 during the IMU calibration and you should minimize/avoid any floor vibrations (people walking nearby, doors slamming, spouse vacuuming in next room, etc.). Start the IMU Calibration, click through the message and warning screens. The IMU Calibration takes 3-10 minutes - there is a status bar that will eventually go to 100% - it may take a minute or two before it changes from 0%. Ensure you get an IMU Calibration complete message.

I also recommend doing a Gimbal Auto Calibration immediately after the IMU Calibration is finished with the P3 still sitting on the same level surface. This should correct any tilted horizons you may be seeing in your videos.
Thanks for that great explanation. That helped a lot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31