Bad motor or esc?

Reaction score
Looking to fix my p2v and just not sure what to fix. I flew it fine to test my new rotorpixel gimbal and then I tried to take it up for a sunset flight but one motor was a no go.

The motor barely spins but when it's off it seems to spin freely. The esc lights work when turning the quad on (blinks 3 red and I think 2 green) but when I turn the motors on the it doesn't light up red like the other.

I took everything apart and checked the motor and seems clean and connections seem fine to my eye. Just looking to get some insight and if I should go ahead and get a motor or esc?

Thanks, Chris

Re: Bad motor or esc?

privy said:
Looking to fix my p2v and just not sure what to fix. I flew it fine to test my new rotorpixel gimbal and then I tried to take it up for a sunset flight but one motor was a no go.

The motor barely spins but when it's off it seems to spin freely. The esc lights work when turning the quad on (blinks 3 red and I think 2 green) but when I turn the motors on the it doesn't light up red like the other.

I took everything apart and checked the motor and seems clean and connections seem fine to my eye. Just looking to get some insight and if I should go ahead and get a motor or esc?

Thanks, Chris

Since you will need to solder anyway why not try and swap the motor and esc with the opposite one that works. try just the motors first then the esc depending on the results of course.
good luck.

Wedeliver said:
Since you will need to solder anyway why not try and swap the motor and esc with the opposite one that works. try just the motors first then the esc depending on the results of course.
good luck.

Well I've never actually soldered anything and don't really want to screw anything up. Seems like it would alot of soldering for a first timer

Well going out to buy a soldering iron and see if I can get things to start happening. Any tips on what kind of soldering iron, do I need solder or is there enough to reuse?

privy said:
Well going out to buy a soldering iron and see if I can get things to start happening. Any tips on what kind of soldering iron, do I need solder or is there enough to reuse?

Get a 25-30 watt model.

Less, (wattage) and you may have trouble with large soldering splices (in the future).
Too much more and you can damage circuit boards by overheating.

Definately get some solder, rosin core. Often times a new iron will come with some. Thinner gauge melts easier and faster and can prevent adding too much at first.

Keep the tip clean and tinned, apply solder between the iron and the junction, keep junction still until solder hardens.
If the resulting solder looks dull or cracked, redo it with a bit of fresh solder... be careful not to over do it.

Notice how shiny and smooth the DJI solder junctions look?
Your's may not be AS shiny but should be smooth,

Look at videos on YT or similar and practice on some old electronics you may have laying around.

You'll get it, and have another skill or tool in your "toolbox". ;)

No need for a special iron- $$$.
They make solder suckers, sort of like a spring loaded syringe, and solder wick.

Nice to have but not absolutely required and may be difficult to locate in stores locally.
(Does Radio Shack still sell this stuff :?: )

May help a newb in case of over application though :) .

Thanks for the info. Going to do some practicing today. Ordered a new esc board on a hunch. Saw a slight imperfection where the motor wires are soldered to the esc

N017RW said:
You'll get it, and have another skill or tool in your "toolbox". ;)
Wedeliver said:
good luck.

Just for an update, I figured out it was not the ESC board and was the motor. Taught myself some of the skill of soldering and swapped the motors to test and guess it must be a bad motor since it did the same thing where I transferred it to. Oh well now I'll just have a spare ESC board just in case. just had to grow the balls to chance soldering and maybe screwing something up. Thanks very much though for the input N017RW and Wedeliver. :D :!:

I think I am having a feeling.. Like pride or something. You make me smile privy. GOOD JOB!

The Name of the game in Soldering in my opinion is Weller.

Have fun. a Remember a clean tip is a good tip. A lot of the Irons come with a screwdriver tip but I prefer a pointy tip. (s7 I think is what I look for)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik