Bad GPS unit?

Reaction score
I guess I've got a bad GPS unit. I've rarely been able to get 6 satellites locked. When I do, it tends to drop back and forth to 5, which doesn't give me any confidence in RTH.

I tried the mod this weekend, no immediate improvement.

This morning, I went out, got 9 locked immediately, yeah! Took off, got 10, 11, then 12!

Went up about 30 feet, started recording. Everything looked good. Went up to about 50 feet, lock went down to 6, 5, then 4 and the phantom veered in a gust of wind :(

Why does it completely give up with less than 6 anyways? I know that's more accurate, but I'd rather it try RTH with a little less accuracy and land within 20-30 yards of home than just drop out somewhere random. I have no confidence to try waypoints with the GS.

Normally 8 at 20 degrees or more altitude. Which should be high enough to be in the clear.

I know what you mean, i had the same experience with a GPS module that had a broken connection.
Check the module if you can see any defects or broken ceramics antenna.

I got a replacement from Amazon. So far, the GPS on it has been rock solid. 8 on the ground, and 10-11 once in the air. Much better - so it sounds like there were problems with my first unit.

marcuslf said:
I got a replacement from Amazon. So far, the GPS on it has been rock solid. 8 on the ground, and 10-11 once in the air. Much better - so it sounds like there were problems with my first unit.

Did you send in the bird completely or just that GPS module ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20