Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Bad / Good compass calibration

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Dima, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Dima

Hi,
    I've seen many posts here mentioning "bad" or "good" compass calibration. What exactly bad and good means? My anderstanding is that the green lights should flash on successfull calibration. If they didn't - that's a failure and you need to recalibrate again. Or maybe there is more to it I don't know about? Thank you.

2. Wingfan04

Pretty much All you need to know is in that post

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

A good calibration is one done in a good area well clear of large iron or steel items including buried pipes or steel reinforcing.
    A bad calibration is one done somewhere the normal magnetic field of the earth is distorted by iron or steel somewhere nearby.
    Adjust your compass so it thinks it's correct in a distorted field, and when you fly away from the distortion ... your compass is still trying to correct for something that's not there any more ... bingo .. flight problems.

4. mknmd

Only bad one I ever had was taking off from a concrete patio, suspect there was iron rebar or mesh in the concrete

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yep. You should not calibrate the compass near concrete and/or take off from concrete.