Bad experience with B&H Photo

Re: Bad experience with B&H Photo

Oh I've dealt with them privately also but just got " we're sorry it's taking so long" so I took to the forums to make myself feel better and maybe get some "squeaky wheel" action.

Tracking number was not provided as promised.

Who knows where it is or when/if I'll get it back. All I know is it's not at my house.

Chris Hick said:
I'll be the first in line to post a good review when I have had a good experience, but I'll also be first in line if I have a bad experience. I'm not sure if this post will be perceived as crying over spilt milk or being a cry baby, but here goes anyway.

I bought my Phantom 2V+ in June from B&H Photo mainly because of their reputation as having outstanding customer service. There are plenty of online retailers selling Phantoms all at exactly the same price, so when deciding who to purchase from reputation was the deciding factor for me. Had fun with it for a couple of months, and yes I had a crash. I'm sure most new pilots have.

I took it out for a flight one evening and one motor would not start. Long story short, I took it to 2 different hobby shops. Replaced 1 ESC and 1 motor. No luck. Swapped ESCs and motors from one position to another to verify that they were in fact working. Still no luck. At this point I'm thinking, I know the ESCs and motors are all operational but when connected in the rear left position they do not work. So it must be the main board, right???

Hearing all of the bad news about getting repairs from DJI directly I figured I wouldn't even waste my time contacting them. At this point I contacted B&H. It was outside of their 30 day window but I figured what the heck, lets see if they can do anything for me. Not really expecting much, I was surprised when they issued an RMA to send it back for exchange. I was extremely happy and ready to sing their praises everywhere I had a chance. I mean, what kind of a company takes back a used product after 40-50 days? Pretty cool.

Now at this point I should say that I was VERY upfront about what work had been done to the Phantom, both by the hobby shops AND by myself, in an attempt to diagnose the problem. At this point they could have to me to go pound sand but I will cut and past "I appreciate that you checked the unit out before coming back to us. I will extend the return for you as a courtesy. Please send the unit back to us and we will exchange it for you. "

This is where things fell apart. I received an email on 8/12 telling me they had received my Phantom and to allow up to 3 days to process the return. On 8/18 I get a voice mail from someone wanting to talk to me about my return. I call back and leave a voice mail. No reply. Call again. No reply. Etc... Finally about 1 1/2 weeks later I manage to catch him at his desk. He says the Phantom has been crashed and has been worked on by unauthorized repair centers. I told him that this was all disclosed BEFORE the RMA was issued, that it is not unusual to have a crash (minor body damage BTW) and how would he have any idea what shops did the work and if they were authorized or not? If that was going to be a problem they should not have issued an RMA in the first place. He says he will talk to his bosses and see what they say. No reply for over a week so I start calling again. When I finally get through he states they cannot exchange the unit and would I like a quote for repairs? I said yes.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. They've had my Phantom for almost 2 months now. On 10/7 I finally send a nasty email to customer service asking for the status of my Phantom and stating that at this point I would just like to get it back, fixed or not. Later that night I receive a reply stating "To try and expedite the process for you, I asked one of my support agents to follow up on this and to get back to you with more info as soon as he gets it. " More waiting. Two more weeks waiting......

Today, 10/22, I get a call telling me they will replace the shell (not sure why, other than cosmetic damage) one ESC and one motor for $580. I inform this person that is only $107 worth of parts and he says there is labor also. $473 worth of labor, really? To replace a motor and ESC that have both already been verified as operational? At this point I told him to just send it back to me.

So there's my story, take it as you will. I'm sure they are still a great company to deal with, as evidenced by the many great reviews. But my dealings with them.... not so much. Am I wrong to be upset? I didn't expect them to do anything at all, but the length of time it has taken (2 1/2 months) and the apparent gouging to replace 3 parts that in my opinion don't need replaced, has left a very bad taste.

I guess I'll be buying a $59 main board this weekend and we'll see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for listening.

I feel your pain, Chris. I've had similar experiences in the past with companies (e.g. Best Buy, ouch). I hope things turn around and the company realizes its mistakes. At the very least you should be compensated for all the trouble. Contact them and I would be surprised if they didn't do something.

VoicOfReason said:
I feel your pain, Chris. I've had similar experiences in the past with companies (e.g. Best Buy, ouch). I hope things turn around and the company realizes its mistakes. At the very least you should be compensated for all the trouble. Contact them and I would be surprised if they didn't do something.

I guess I should have asked for some cash. At this point I would just like to have it back.

B&H Photo said:
"– what would you like to see happen to resolve this equitably and amicably? I do not know what the estimated repair charges were but I do not believe we will or should pay them, nor will we replace the unit with a new one. I do not think that would be equitable."

Chris Hick said:
"Henry,

The repair charges were almost $600 and I am very doubtful they would even fix the problem.
Regardless, with the absence of any offer to replace/repair the unit I suppose we are at an impasse. I’ll just chalk it up to a lesson learned and a waste of 73 days and shipping charges.
Perhaps you should investigate why the RMA was even issued in the first place. As I have said, I was surprised but very pleased at the offer to replace the unit. It might be possible to prevent problems such as this in the future.

Thank you,

Chris Hick"

I wonder if you could go to your credit card company (if you purchased it on credit card) and complain to them. Say you purchase something and they have basically confiscated it from you, defrauding you of your purchase, intentionally or un-intentionally.

Wow, it just keeps getting better.

Let me tell you a short story. I build commercial buildings for a living. In the past 17 years I have built from Miami to Texas to Los Angeles to San Francisco. One of my clients happens to be Walmart.

Now, once I am complete with my construction and the store operations takes control of the store it can be very difficult to receive any packages addressed to me. Two examples. Last year I built a WM Neighborhood Market. The store manager wanted a different type of door knob on his office door. I said sure and placed the order for a new door knob. It was delivered to the store with proof of delivery, signed for by the receiving manager. To this day that door knob has never been found. Just recently, I needed a replacement faucet for the kitchen area in a Supercenter. Same scenario, the faucet was delivered but has never been found. The Walmart receiving areas are the black holes of freight.

While the store is under construction there is one way into-out of the site. I have a full time guard at the gate and every delivery comes directly to my office trailer for my review and signature.

So, when I purchased my Phantom I paid for overnight shipping directly to my jobsite and it was received with no problem. Later, when B&H issued the RMA, I was no longer on this site and the store had opened so I requested that the replacement Phantom be returned to my home and even included a large note in the box with directions on where to return it to.

Can you see where this is going? Right. B&H sent it back to the Walmart store. At this time of year the stores are receiving extra freight to increase stock levels for the holidays, so the back rooms are even more crowded and chaotic then normal. I have contacted the store and they are looking for it, but I'm not holding my breath. It is an 8 hour round trip for me, otherwise I would go look for it myself. If B&H had sent the tracking information, as they had promised to do, I would have seen the mistake and could have had the shipment redirected to the correct address. But since I only received the tracking number 1 hour ago, almost a full week after it was shipped, it is too late.

Looking at this whole debacle, I'm now stumped. If it is not found I'm not sure what my recourse is. I have all of the documentation of my interactions with B&H and think the evidence speaks for itself. None of these mistakes or delays were caused by me and I think I've been very patient in waiting until just recently. But I don't have anything in writing with my directions to return it to my house and I didn't think to take any photos of the instructions in the box(honestly, who would?).

At this point I think I will investigate finding a lawyer who could handle this. I think I've got a pretty good case. I'm not sure if many layers would be interested in such a small case, but I can't file anything in small claims court because I am in another state. Either way, I can assure you, I will not take a $1,400 loss laying down.

So sorry to hear how this has played out Chris. I'm glad for the heads up on this vendor though.
At this point they are fully responsible for your loss and need to replace your Phantom.

Chris Hick said:
Wow, it just keeps getting better.

Let me tell you a short story. I build commercial buildings for a living. In the past 17 years I have built from Miami to Texas to Los Angeles to San Francisco. One of my clients happens to be Walmart.

Now, once I am complete with my construction and the store operations takes control of the store it can be very difficult to receive any packages addressed to me. Two examples. Last year I built a WM Neighborhood Market. The store manager wanted a different type of door knob on his office door. I said sure and placed the order for a new door knob. It was delivered to the store with proof of delivery, signed for by the receiving manager. To this day that door knob has never been found. Just recently, I needed a replacement faucet for the kitchen area in a Supercenter. Same scenario, the faucet was delivered but has never been found. The Walmart receiving areas are the black holes of freight.

While the store is under construction there is one way into-out of the site. I have a full time guard at the gate and every delivery comes directly to my office trailer for my review and signature.

So, when I purchased my Phantom I paid for overnight shipping directly to my jobsite and it was received with no problem. Later, when B&H issued the RMA, I was no longer on this site and the store had opened so I requested that the replacement Phantom be returned to my home and even included a large note in the box with directions on where to return it to.

Can you see where this is going? Right. B&H sent it back to the Walmart store. At this time of year the stores are receiving extra freight to increase stock levels for the holidays, so the back rooms are even more crowded and chaotic then normal. I have contacted the store and they are looking for it, but I'm not holding my breath. It is an 8 hour round trip for me, otherwise I would go look for it myself. If B&H had sent the tracking information, as they had promised to do, I would have seen the mistake and could have had the shipment redirected to the correct address. But since I only received the tracking number 1 hour ago, almost a full week after it was shipped, it is too late.

Looking at this whole debacle, I'm now stumped. If it is not found I'm not sure what my recourse is. I have all of the documentation of my interactions with B&H and think the evidence speaks for itself. None of these mistakes or delays were caused by me and I think I've been very patient in waiting until just recently. But I don't have anything in writing with my directions to return it to my house and I didn't think to take any photos of the instructions in the box(honestly, who would?).

At this point I think I will investigate finding a lawyer who could handle this. I think I've got a pretty good case. I'm not sure if many layers would be interested in such a small case, but I can't file anything in small claims court because I am in another state. Either way, I can assure you, I will not take a $1,400 loss laying down.

I would consider doing a chargeback on your credit card for the original Phantom purchase. That is absolutely awful. How does that big of a company ignore their customers? So sad. That's why I never go through those so called mega companies. They have the personas that, "He is only one customer, we can afford to lose him." Just sad, man. Just sad. If you're going to look for a new company to purchase from i would consider Dronefly. I've purchased from them 8+ times and they have been nothing, but amazing. Including having to return a defective Phantom for a new one. Sorry to hear about all the troubles you have had. :?

MrDrone27 said:
How does that big of a company ignore their customers? So sad. That's why I never go through those so called mega companies. They have the personas that, "He is only one customer, we can afford to lose him." Just sad, man.

Respectfully, he is not being ignored. I have replied here, replied to his BBB complaints and engaged him via email, the route I prefer since this is, after all, between Chris and B&H.

Yeah, I've thought about a chargeback to the credit card, but it's been way too long since the original purchase date.

American Express has purchase protection and will even replace an item that is lost, stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. If this hadn't drug out for 3 months I would have been eligible for that, but the 90 day window has long since passed.

I guess B&H being "so sorry for the delay" makes up for that though.

henryp said:
MrDrone27 said:
How does that big of a company ignore their customers? So sad. That's why I never go through those so called mega companies. They have the personas that, "He is only one customer, we can afford to lose him." Just sad, man.

Respectfully, he is not being ignored. I have replied here, replied to his BBB complaints and engaged him via email, the route I prefer since this is, after all, between Chris and B&H.

Being that ya'll are such a big company, he shouldn't have to go all the way to the point where he posts how upset he is on a forum to get your attention. My point being that as much as you say you are trying to help him out and responding to him, it really sounds like you haven't done anything for him. Being that he doesn't have his craft back from you. :cry:

Chris Hick said:
Yeah, I've thought about a chargeback to the credit card, but it's been way too long since the original purchase date.

American Express has purchase protection and will even replace an item that is lost, stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. If this hadn't drug out for 3 months I would have been eligible for that, but the 90 day window has long since passed.

I guess B&H being "so sorry for the delay" makes up for that though.

I would do whatever you can to get a new craft. They have continually drug their feet in the sand. This is in no way customer service. The fact that their worker above ^ responded to my comment shows they are just trying to cover themselves to look good. They messed up, now they should own up to it! :x

This does not sound like the B&H I know. I've been buying stuff from them for 25 years and never had an issue. I guess no one is perfect. I would like to see their store open on Saturdays

Well, this is the kind of "customer service" I receive.

Chris Hick said:
Henry,

Well now we've got a problem. I specifically asked for the drone to be returned to my home address in Sarasota, FL. It appears by the tracking # that it was sent to Boca Raton, FL, a 4 hour drive from my house. I even included an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with very large type asking to have it returned to my home address.

I'm assuming it was delivered to the Walmart store I built earlier this year. I have called the store to see if they can find it, but I know from experience it probably won't be found.

B&H replied with this very helpful comment.
B&H Photo said:
I am unaware of any instructions otherwise so the shipment went to the original ship-to address

Chris Hick said:
Well, the way I see things this entire situation has been caused by B&H Photo since the day the RMA was issued on 8/6 till today 11/4. The only misstep I may have made was contacting B&H before DJI.

Once the RMA was issued, every mistake and every delay lies squarely on B&H Photo's shoulders. Three months' worth.

In light of this, I would think the least B&H could do would be to have UPS retrieve the package and redirect it to the correct address. I have no way of getting this item to Sarasota but to drive 8 hours round trip to retrieve it.

Ever helpful B&H
B&H Photo said:
I've asked customer service to inquire if this is possible.

This was my last communication at 12:02pm yesterday.

Now, the whole shipping address thing is my word against theirs since I don't have any documentation of such. BUT, that point is irrelevant since if B&H had provided said tracking number to me in a timely manor, as they had promised to do multiple times, I would have been able to have the shipment re-directed to the correct address. But because B&H did not follow through with their promises again, we are now presented with this problem.

It's so simple. Follow through with your promises. I would have my quad back now, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I would contact you credit card company as this all started before the 90 days was up. Maybe they will help or they won't. Doesn't hurt either way.

This thread does make me reconsider purchasing from B&H

i just read through this and holy crap I really feel for you. If i were you i'd still check with cc company even if it's after the 90 day period, they might make an exception and put some pressure at B&H after you explain your story. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

FASTFJR said:
This does not sound like the B&H I know. I've been buying stuff from them for 25 years and never had an issue. I guess no one is perfect. I would like to see their store open on Saturdays

Thank you. It is kind of you to say so. I am sorry to disappoint but I foresee no circumstances under which we'd be open Saturdays.

I will still buy my photo and video gear at B&H - that is their core competency.

Chriserl said:
I would contact you credit card company as this all started before the 90 days was up. Maybe they will help or they won't. Doesn't hurt either way.

That's what got me into this whole mess to begin with lol :lol: Asking B&H for help after the 30 day window was up. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers