Bad Bearings?

Reaction score
I have now had two of the original Phantom Motors seize up with broken bearings (my phantom has less the 2 hours of total flight time).

I saw an add for replacement bearings, but how could I find out if the new bearings are any better than what DJI is using?

Anyone else have bearing issues?

BigDog said:
I have now had two of the original Phantom Motors seize up with broken bearings (my phantom has less the 2 hours of total flight time).

I saw an add for replacement bearings, but how could I find out if the new bearings are any better than what DJI is using?

Anyone else have bearing issues?

I'm now questioning the condition of my bearings as well.
when I spin my props by hand,. two motors seems relatively smooth.
but one seems to make a sound and even vibrate, and another seems in-between.
Not sure how difficult it would be to replace the bearings, or just go for new motors all around?
(or can I replace just two of the motors?)

Re. bearings failing, I saw a good tip on YouTube - chap flying an S800 suggested that each motor is touched after use to assess overheating - an early sign of problems.

raggy said:
Re. bearings failing, I saw a good tip on YouTube - chap flying an S800 suggested that each motor is touched after use to assess overheating - an early sign of problems.

good idea!!

perhaps I'll fly mine around a little bit tonight just to see how the temps vary from motor to motor.

Gizmo, did you say you found a good source for bearings?

Sac D said:

I think so, there were quite a number of places selling them online (as they work in other motors as well apparently), even my local hobby store carried some. but they were a bit generic and had no Apec rating (which apparently a bearing rating system).

So I settled on this place, since they specifically mention that they're APEC 5, and work in DJI motors, and not overpriced.
..the 3x8x4 bearings
http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplaypro ... t=Bearings

I had a motors bearings fail this weekend - changed all 8 out and now the Phantom flys like silk again. The gotHeliRC.com link above is where I got mine from. Do it

Gizmo3000 said:
Sac D said:

I think so, there were quite a number of places selling them online (as they work in other motors as well apparently), even my local hobby store carried some. but they were a bit generic and had no Apec rating (which apparently a bearing rating system).

So I settled on this place, since they specifically mention that they're APEC 5, and work in DJI motors, and not overpriced.
..the 3x8x4 bearings

I placed an order too. Don't need 'em... but when the time comes that I do, I won't have to search for that link.

kwolters said:
Could I get a brief description on how to change the bearings out. Thanks

I actually just did so (first time) on my extra motor (which I now realized I probably didn't really have to replace in the first place).

skilled people can do it by unbolding the 4 screws that hold the motor in and tilt it up to access the bottom, but I had my shell apart anyhow so it made it much easier. (plus I had removed the motor from the phantom (by cutting the wires, as I plan to put bullet connectors on them.

Ok, once you have access to the motor, it's a snap.
on the bottom of the motor there's a little C or E clip as it's called. Very carefully use whatever tool you have to remove it.
Underneath that is a tiny little washer, carefully try to remove it, or try to keep track of it.. as you very carefully pull the top part of the motor away from the bottom part. (they're magnets so they'll try to reconnect.
Then once you've got the parts apart, you can look at the bottom part and it has the two bearings.
carefully use a small poking tool to push each bearing out
and then slide the new bearings into it's place
and then carefully put the two main parts together, keeping things aligned, put the washer back on , and then put the E clip back on, and viola, you're done!

This guy posted a quickie video that shows how basic is it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRVwbRZLoLQ

and this guy has a more detailed video (tho he goes into detail on how to get into the bearing itse'f)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVu8YuC8iE

While trying to remove the c-clip, cover the motor as well as part of your working hands inside the BIG clear plastic bag.
The c-clip will fly and if you lost it... :evil:
Unless you have the super nice working space.
My Y6 motors have seen hundreds of flight without motor failure. I occasionally use the motor spray to clean the whole motors from dirt and dust (from where I usually fly anyway), then I lubricate the bearing every 10 flights or so.
As for the Phantom, I drill a hole on the frame underneath each motor for easier oiling as seen below:

P1240591Small_zps5431cd85.jpg

It is also a good practice to feel all the motors right after the landing to see if the temperature is different. Warm to touch is okay but if you can't hold the back of your hand against the motor, then check the motor thoroughly. If you fly in cold weather keep your eye on the motor that feels the warmest too.

Note: make sure the motor spray you use is plastic safe.

Okay i'm trying to access the bearings in one of my motors. I removed the E clip and washer but i can not get the motor to separate into two pieces. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can make it budge and make it move back and forth a few millimetres but thats it. It seems to stuck and it almost feels like there's something else holding it in place.. What do I do?

It's just the magnets holding the two pieces together. Pull firmly and they should slide apart.

Watch for a little washer that was under the e-clip.

Sac D said:
Gizmo3000 said:
Sac D said:

..the 3x8x4 bearings

I placed an order too. Don't need 'em... but when the time comes that I do, I won't have to search for that link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.