Backwards flying and filming

Reaction score
Hi everyone, rookie here looking for some guidance. I have a P4 and I am trying to research the best way to shoot video of someone wakeboarding behind a boat. I want the camera to be facing them so it will need to be flying backwards over the boat. I have tried Active Track but it loses the subject. I have the Litchi app if that helps. Just figured someone here would have been doing this already.

Thanks in advance.

RB

I think you r instincts are correct. Because of the speed needed, and you don't want props to show in the film... I have yet to try this method, but I think that's what you'll have to do. Active Track does seem sensitive and easy to lose the subject.

Yup fly backwards. Amusing you will be on the boat watching the Wake Boarder and you can have the Drone between you and the wake boarder, you and the Drone will be facing the same way so your left is the drones left and your right is the drones right. Shouldn't be to bad.

RonBurgundy

The best way in my opinion to do this, is by piloting the drone using FPV (goggles or Headplay device) you can always ensure that skier/boarder is in shot, I have filmed dirt bikes, and chased fixed wing models using this method, when you get good at it you can even circle the rider as you go, but watch out for the spray from the Board.
I would advise that as well as a spotter for the skier, he spots for you as well, you never know when those pesky trees are going to jump out at you... :)

Why wouldn't you fly forward with the boat with the camera pointing backwards? Maybe that's the RC/heli flyer in me talking but I don't get it. That's what we do when we're skiing.

The camera doesn't point backwards.

Oops. Wrong drone! We usually ski with the Typhoon H. Sorry. I honestly forgot which forum I was in. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: martybabe
It's not difficult to do. I had my Phantom 3P for just 1 month and learned the technique to flying backwards to capture wakeboarders. Don't use the left stick to steer your direction when flying backwards, use the right stick to adjust your left-right position, it's easier that way. I didn't use goggles on this shoot, just an iPad, and I was on shore where I could focus on the work to be done without being jostled around, in the shade to maximize my view in the iPad. These are fun shots, just make sure to stay above the height of the boat, and check for wires strung across the river that need to be avoided. Lakes are usually no problem with wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost
Easy! Tie a Y cord to the (both) legs of the drone. Lift the drone to your altitude and put it in the ATTI mode (so is not fighting you for GPS position). Tow the drone with the boat. Done.

Easy! Tie a Y cord to the (both) legs of the drone. Lift the drone to your altitude and put it in the ATTI mode (so is not fighting you for GPS position). Tow the drone with the boat. Done.
Seriously? Have you actually done this before? Need more details. What kind of "cord" did you use? Were you able to yaw the craft/camera OK with the tension of the cord?

Another option is to setup a cable cam with Litchi a mile long. Then have the boat follow the mile long cable path, simply by watching the craft. The craft can be yawed any direction while flying the cable path. The boat operator only has to follow the path.

Yes I did 2 times, once towed by car and and second by a bike filming the other bike behind. Kept in ATTI mode to hold altitude. No yaw, just tilt on the camera.
Is meant to work in straight line only for short videos.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic