backpack recommendations

It really depends on the use you intend to give it. I have the DJI Manfrotto bag
DJI Phantom Backpack BC.QT.000002 B&H Photo Video and I'm pleased with it. It seems like good quality, comfortable and a nice fit for the Phantom 3 with accessories. On the downside the zippers are a bit cumbersome and it might not be the right choice for longer hikes where you need to carry additional gear (first aid, snacks, water and perhaps a light jacket). For this last purpose I recently ordered the Go Professional Limited Edition backpack referenced by dsd317

I'm looking forward to testing this one and then probably keeping one of the two (they both are pricey)

I have the DJI one. I would recommend something else. It is well built but it fits the Drone, props, radio, batteries, all the DJI stuff and nothing else.
If you want to bring paperwork, a tablet, a sunshade, or anything else, it's a pain.

This isn't true, I can fit everything I need in it including sunshade, gimbal protector and 4 snap on prop guards. It's a neat, compact solution perfect for hiking. It is too expensive however

Agree with King Luff, it can hold all I need - I fold my sun shade around my tablet (9.7") and slip it between the hard shell and the top foam piece. I do not have them yet, but if/when I get FPV goggles (FatShark sized) they should fit as well in the A/C battery charger location.

My biggest complaint with the DJI Hardshell is that the foam inside is basically styrofoam (EPS - expanded polystyrene)... I really thought for $150 the insert would be EPP (expanded polypropylene) which is WAY more sturdy (basically unbreakable and very flexible).... or some other study foam, not just styrofoam....

Last edited:
I agree this bag is amazing. VERY good quality and fits everything with room to spare. Light too. Couldn't be happier.
After buying three others and testing them, I prefer the Think Tank bag also. Tons of room without being too big and heavy. Nice shoulder straps and a waist belt! Highly versatile and reconfigurable. However I do like the Chinese cheapy, $40 on eBay. It's super light and well laid out, but the materials are cheap, which is why it's light.

I much prefer a soft backpack when traveling on airlines, they have more room than the DJI hard shell type and more comfortable to hike with. You need to be careful on size though. Technically it needs to be 20x14x9 for airline carry on, and most are not. Chinese cheapy is ok in this regard.

The problem with Fearless and GPC is the foam insert is limiting. If you have strong arm brackets, or removable prop guards, or gimbal protectors, they don't work well, you have to modify it, and then it looks bad. In stock form, the insert is just too tight around the motor pods, no room for mods to the craft. They are also a taste too big for carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reginald Thomas
+1 for GPC Limited Edition backpack. Flew to Hawaii (still here) from Texas without any problems as carry-on going through TSA (they never asked about it) and in plane over-head storage bin. I also have GPC hard case, which is great, but not very practical when launch site is not near to parking. It has wheels, but doesn't help when walking over gravel, dirt, or sand. People have said that you could launch from the top of hard case...well guess what??? I've launched from this backpack as well. The back of it is stiff enough to launch from and if that's not good enough, this backpack has a hard, stiff backing that comes out which can be used to launch from as well.

This bag has tons of space even with DBS antenna (modified foam), 3 chargers and a huge water bottle. Try that with a hard shell backpack.

View attachment 38263 View attachment 38264 View attachment 38265 View attachment 38266 View attachment 38267
I like my GPC Limited also. I like how it holds so many batteries and other equipment.

This isn't true, I can fit everything I need in it including sunshade, gimbal protector and 4 snap on prop guards. It's a neat, compact solution perfect for hiking. It is too expensive however

Where in the DJI case do you place the 4 snap on prop guards and sunshade? Do you have any pictures of your layout?
It would be great if there was room for tablet bigger than seven inches.

Where in the DJI case do you place the 4 snap on prop guards and sunshade? Do you have any pictures of your layout?
It would be great if there was room for tablet bigger than seven inches.
I would recommend the ProCraft backpack for Phantom 3. It offers a lot more room for prop guards, larger tablet, a DSLR camera, charger, tracker, props, all kinds of room. This backpack is almost identical to the Think Tank Phantom 3 backpack for $100 less.

Yes, I had one and returned it. The insert was too tight, and the backpack was too thick (12') for airline carry-on (9" limit). If you have strong arm brackets, or the removable prop guard brackets installed, the Fearless is too tight to accommodate those brackets installed under the motors. You would have to carve up the insert to work, and then it would look ratty. Also, if you have the carbon fiber camera guard installed, that guard makes your landing gear pretty rigid. The Fearless insert requires your landing gear to flex, for a snug fit. The carbon fiber guard makes is difficult to squeeze the landing gear into the insert cavity, just too tight, too much hassle.

Reactions: ResevorDG
Where do you put the sunshade and prop guards? A picture would help

Reactions: NCFlyGuy
You can't go wrong with this one, enough space for your phantom, contrloller, 4 batteries and all your accesories

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone recommend a backpack, soft or hard, but preferably soft, that can fit a p3a with accessories. I would like a lightweight one that I would be able to wear for multiple hours at a time. the lower the price the better. I was looking at the fearless one but I've seen mixed reviews on it. also looking at the manfrotto, but it is quite pricey. I also watched just the hardshell one but if I got a new drone in the future that was slightly different it most likely would not fit.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451738462.679398.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451738491.867735.jpg

This is the best back pack for the price. Just under $70 light and protects the phantom. Good for travels as well

I'll put a separate post up tomorrow with pictures of my backpack. All fits in there perfect and even room for my gimbal protector & anemometer too! I know the backpack isn't cheap but it's well made and comfy on the back when out walking in the countryside.

I have two. The Think Tank Airport Helipak @ $240, and a knock-off of the DJI Backpack from Amazon @ $99. The Think Tank is huge, holds lots of accessories, and is easier to load/unload. The DJI knock off is smaller, lighter and holds everything I need (including extra batteries, range booster, tablet and sun shades), but it is a tighter fit. I bought the DJI knock-off for my 'spare' P3, but I like it so much (due to size, weight, aesthetics) that I am now using it for my primary. I actually like the compactness of the DJI knock-off; it is well designed.

$99 DJI Knock-off: Amazon.com : Backpack for DJI Quadcopter Drones, Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 standard, Phantom 2 Vision, Phantom 2 Vision+, Phantoms Fits Extra Accessories GoPro Cameras and Laptop : Camera & Photo

Big time +1 for the ThinkTank Airport Helipack. ThinkTank makes such high quality camera bags, and this one is no exception. Plus, I can easily fit a GoPro with some accessories and a camera with plenty of room for any extras I might need.

Reactions: ResevorDG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31