Backpack for P3S - Manfrotto or Vanguard?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and also new to flying! I apologise if this is in the wrong section or has already been covered (have had a look through the search).

I picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard last week and wanting to buy a decent backpack to store it/travel with. I've narrowed it down to the following three but I honestly can't decide.

https://www.manfrotto.us/aviator ... -phantom-rain-cover

http://www.vanguardworld.com.au/ ... .html#go-sectionTop

http://www.vanguardworld.com.au/ ... -backpack-1263.html

The Manfrotto is about 1kg lighter than the other two and I've read awesome reviews on it. Also like that it has dedicated battery and propeller pockets. Only thing I'm worried about is the bottom legs seem to be right at the bottom of the bag which makes me think they could get damaged if it's dropped.

The other two Vanguards seem to be very well built and look like they'd offer more protection for the drone when it's sitting inside. But they're also fairly new (early 2017 release I think) and I can't seem to find many reviews on them.

Has anyone got either one of these backpacks? Or thoughts on which way I should go? The Vanguard 51D seems to be just over carry on baggage limits for most airlines (in Australia anyway) so I'm not too sure about that one..

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey cala,
I'm curious - what pack did you end up going with?

I was also looking at those packs at about the same time - the D1, and the vanguards. Good point about the quad being at the bottom of the manfrotto - I hadn't considered that. The top segment of the manfrotto also seems like an afterthought. The vanguards' design is the best I've seen. But it did worry me that all three were a bit bigger than most regional airlines would allow. The 3kg weight, and the $270 price of the vanguards is also quite off-putting. I'd like to carry my DSLR as well, so the pack needs to be lighter. Using 3 of 7 kg on the pack itself is a bit much.

The pack the previous poster mentioned is 1.5kg I believe and I do see it for AUD$135 shipped atm.
Ultimaxx Backpack for DJI Quadcopter Drones, Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 3 | eBay

There is the drone trekker which you can get for AUD$220 ($50 cheaper than local) ,weighs 1.3kg and clears the airline restrictions .
https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Dro...01G73Z2U6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Paying over 200 for a pack seems a bit crazy to me though. Will have to have a look at some cheaper options from amazon but many don't seem to ship to Aus!

I was watching Amazon for the Lykus or Thinktank backpacks. The Lykus looks like a pretty good affordable pack with decent reviews on YouTube. Thintank has 2 flavors of their pack. The biggest difference is V1 has the drone on the bottom while V2 has it on top. There are differences in the pocket layouts and pack handles too and V1 is priced lower.

I have Thinktank bags for my DSLRs and gear and like the quality. When I saw the V1 backpack on sale at Amazon today I ordered it. I don't see myself using it as an airline carry on much but it fits the standard carry on size limits (10"x14"x22"). Might be tight on a Regional jet though. I will use it mostly to consolidate my UAV gear into one spot and to carry it on day trips.

I like the fact that the Thinktank (and Lykus) are customizable and can be configured to carry modded controllers and such as well as handle a change of aircraft in the future if needed.

I was watching Amazon for the Lykus or Thinktank backpacks. The Lykus looks like a pretty good affordable pack with decent reviews on YouTube. Thintank has 2 flavors of their pack. The biggest difference is V1 has the drone on the bottom while V2 has it on top. There are differences in the pocket layouts and pack handles too and V1 is priced lower.

I have Thinktank bags for my DSLRs and gear and like the quality. When I saw the V1 backpack on sale at Amazon today I ordered it. I don't see myself using it as an airline carry on much but it fits the standard carry on size limits (10"x14"x22"). Might be tight on a Regional jet though. I will use it mostly to consolidate my UAV gear into one spot and to carry it on day trips.

I like the fact that the Thinktank (and Lykus) are customizable and can be configured to carry modded controllers and such as well as handle a change of aircraft in the future if needed.

Last night I also saw the helipak v1 for 120 but didn't update the thread. Guess that's the deal you snagged, cause it's back up to 150 now. It looks like a simple but really good option.

Can't you reorder the dividers to have the drone at the top? Otherwise I don't see much difference in the v2. Oh, it is 20" /50cm tall.

But if you are mainly going to check it, wouldn't you want something a bit more solid? I've seen those handlers throw bags meters into the air without a care.

Last night I also saw the helipak v1 for 120 but didn't update the thread. Guess that's the deal you snagged, cause it's back up to 150 now. It looks like a simple but really good option.

Can't you reorder the dividers to have the drone at the top? Otherwise I don't see much difference in the v2. Oh, it is 20" /50cm tall.

But if you are mainly going to check it, wouldn't you want something a bit more solid? I've seen those handlers throw bags meters into the air without a care.
I don't really intend to ever check it. If I wanted to travel with my UAV in checked baggage I would insist on having a hard case with specific foam cutouts for the UAV and Controller. I purchased this backpack for day trips in my car and short hikes from my car to a point of interest. This bag will also serve as a place to store my UAV and accessories when not in use. I do not think that the dividers can be moved to keep the UAV in the upper portion of the bag. The dividers need the inner portions of the bag lined with material the dividers attach to. I don't think that material is throughout the bag but I am not sure. But at a substantial savings over V2 this was not an issue for me. If I can move the drone to the top of the bag I probably will but its not a game changer for me.

I came close to purchasing the Manfroto bag too. It's ability to temporarily carry the drone with props on from point to point was attractive. But my previous experience with Thinktank products (I have several Thanktank bags and holsters for my camera gear) was a deciding factor.

Some cheapo versions of the D1 and helipak:

Cheapo helipak: USD$150 for a sample, with probably cheap shipping to AUS. Amazon price is USD$230 shipped. Local price is AUD$350 (USD$277). So if you are in USA and can grab the helipak for $120 on special, go for it!
Hot Sale Dji Backpack Carry Case Dji Phantom 4 Backpack Drone Carry Bag - Buy Dji Backpack,Phantom 4 Backpack,Dji Phantom 4 Backpack Product on Alibaba.com

Cheapo D1: $110 shipped vs $200 shipped from amazon. Locally AUD$240 atm (Manfrotto MBBPD1 D1 Backpack for DJI Phantom DC Cameras & Optics)

professional bag backpack for DJI phantom 2/3/4 MARVIC PRO-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Actually there is a D1 knock-off selling in Aus, for $129. The store has a lot of negative feedback though.
ATF Sully Drone Backpack | Digital Camera Warehouse

Last edited:
Back with another bag bump.

In search of something similar but cheaper to the helipak, I've come across the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 400. This one has flown under the radar I think. There is only one mention of it on this forum, only one decent review of it on youtube and no reviews on B&H. Weird! But it looks good.

I like that at $155 shipped, it is 100-200$ cheaper then what I could get the helipak for (here in Aus). It is 400g lighter at 1.67kg. The compartments you can actually rearrange. It meets carry on sizing. I don't like the lack of chest and waist straps and bottle or tripod holders. I'm wondering if the elastic on the front might be able to hold that stuff though.

Have ordered it and will report back if anyone is interested.

Btw, in Aus theres a good price on phantom 3 batteries atm for $165.
DJI Intelligent Flight Battery 4480mah 15.2V 4S suit Phantom 3 | Buy Drone Parts from Modelflight

BP 400 Review:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.