Backing out new Phantom to pre-No Fly Zone status

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to Phantom Pilots and this is my first post, so please be kind. Having said that, I would really appreciate your help, if you don't mind.

We run an aerial photography business in Saskatchewan, Canada with several UAVs. I am a certified UAV pilot and we hold a Transport Canada blanket license for UAV operation, including airport control zones for our area. Recently we purchased a Phantom 2 with the 3 axis gimbal for doing lower budget jobs such as real estate advertising, for clients who can't afford a two person crew and where large cameras and 4K acquisition is overkill.

Yesterday I did our first flight with our Phantom 2 and was amazed with the quality we got from the new 3 axis gimbal. My biggest disappointment was the no fly zone restriction. I was shooting a house about 1.6 miles from the airport and I could only get the Phantom to 3 meters off the ground. We are certified to fly at the airport and in fact we have a contract there and have been shooting at our international airport for a year. We work with Nav Canada and file Notams for our airport work, but now we can't even fire up our Phantom within 1.5 miles of the airport and we have work to do in that area.

I understand it is possible to go back to an earlier version of the software, version 2, or pre-fly zone restrictions for our Phantom. Can anyone tell me where we can access this? It appears DJI has taken these software products off its site. Any assistance with solving this mystery would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Tunnicliffe
www.javapost.ca

You should probably contact DJI and explain the problem to them.
They may be able to rewrite the software for your needs.
If I were in your position doing that work, I'd be looking at getting the new inspire.

Version 1.08 is what I run. No-Fly Zones were not implemented in this version. The Phantom's maximum rate also increases which means higher maximum speed as well (but you may lose altitude in some circumstances).

I'll also mention the usual caveat: Version 1.08 was made for the Phantom 2 Vision not Vision+. it does work very well on the Vision+ though, except you lose the fixed camera roll-axis mode called "FPV Mode". The firmware also loses a lot of the newer functionality such as Ground Station and Ch. 7 tilt control on the controller.

I do think it is worth it though - at least for me.

You could try here -> http://droneslinger.com/index.html Have a look under the software section although not sure whether Vision + is covered.

The other thing to bear in mind..... Since you are qualified/certified UAV Pilots/Company I assume your piloting skills are somewhat better than someone who just goes down to their hobby store, buys a phantom, takes it out the box and launches it skyward?

With the above in mind and assuming you are not overly hell bent on having GPS enabled flight, can you not just disconnect the GPS puck so that the Vision+ has no idea where in the world it is? Someone may be able to interject here and say whether that will work or not as it IS possible that DJI have Nannied the Vision+ to such a state that if there is no GPS signal into the Naza then you still can't take off.

Just a couple of thoughts.....

A friend with two P2s was recently in a hotel somewhere in the U.S. near an airport and he discovered the no-fly restriction inherent to the P2 firmware. My crazy friend then decided to fly his P2 in the hotel hallway :shock: , so no GPS, no restrictions.

johncanfield said:
A friend with two P2s was recently in a hotel somewhere in the U.S. near an airport and he discovered the no-fly restriction inherent to the P2 firmware. My crazy friend then decided to fly his P2 in the hotel hallway :shock: , so no GPS, no restrictions.
Did they send him to the street before he destroyed the walls and his quad? :shock:

LOL - he has a lot of hours of flight time - don't think he modified the hallway.

HunterSK said:
Version 1.08 is what I run. No-Fly Zones were not implemented in this version. The Phantom's maximum rate also increases which means higher maximum speed as well (but you may lose altitude in some circumstances).

I'll also mention the usual caveat: Version 1.08 was made for the Phantom 2 Vision not Vision+. it does work very well on the Vision+ though, except you lose the fixed camera roll-axis mode called "FPV Mode". The firmware also loses a lot of the newer functionality such as Ground Station and Ch. 7 tilt control on the controller.

I do think it is worth it though - at least for me.
:D
I run 1.08 on my P2V + with no problems. I have all the capabilities of the new firmware that really matter to me. (Battery display on the top bar.) I might even try a ground station test, as I have seen that option on my phone. So far, I've been a good pilot and not needed or wanted additional flight restrictions.

Disclaimer: I have a Drone Expert channel 7 chip which enables camera tilt on the rear lever on the controller.

Give it a go.

The Editor said:
With the above in mind and assuming you are not overly hell bent on having GPS enabled flight, can you not just disconnect the GPS puck so that the Vision+ has no idea where in the world it is?
Just tape some foil over the dome so that the GPS won't see the satellites.

ATTI is propably not helping out, if GPS signal is found and restricted zone detected. Manual mode will work as I remember, if it's too complicated to handle (can fly, but then no focusing on aerial footage).

I got order to make pics near airfield, also got permission - but that fcking modification screws my work now.

Scenario is tin foil over the top and run in ATTI mode.
But what the heck, if there is control signal problem, it will drift where it wants, not coming home. Or hovering on specific place.

Anyhow, there are some trick You can use to prevent reaching Your bird into unwanted area - as start with not fully charged battery to limit its reach and get it autoland faster and so on.

But technical limitation makes this flight more dangerous for airport than GPS monitored flight.

SteveMann said:
The Editor said:
With the above in mind and assuming you are not overly hell bent on having GPS enabled flight, can you not just disconnect the GPS puck so that the Vision+ has no idea where in the world it is?
Just tape some foil over the dome so that the GPS won't see the satellites.

foil does NOT block the signal.

even using the lead copper lining under the gps sensor if placed at the top does not stop the gps signal.

the only way to fly in the no fly zone is to go back to 1.08, i load this version on only if i need to film near the local airport (with permission from the ATC tower) as the drone is not as smooth with 1.08. The max decent rate is higher so VRS is a worry, whereas the later versions are somewhat idiot proof, which is good when you are focusing more on your framing than your decent rate etc.

hope this helps

1.08 and Vison + V3 with new remote? Anybody ? For me its looks "not" even some later software had problem with camera handling side-button.

GPS signal is keen to disappear in some cases even if air is too thick :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl