Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Backing Out Motor and Retention Screws

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Kevin Cabral, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Kevin Cabral

Those who have unscrewed the motor and retention screws, how tight did you put them back in? I tighten mine 'snug', until my screw driver stopped turning. I used my thumb and index finger to tighten it down, was afraid of torquing it to much. Supposedly unscrewing these screws and putting them back in might prevent stress cracking.

2. alokbhargava

It's ones judgement and feel.

3. Kevin Cabral

Well I assume if you torque it down and over tighten it, it would cause issues no? I just tightened it till the screw driver stopped turning and left it as is. Turned on the motors and allowed it to spin for a few minutes. Then I checked the screws by trying to tighten them again with my thumb and index finger, and none of them moved.

4. RoyVa

Have had good success with turn till stops then 1/16 more to lock it in.

Kevin Cabral likes this.
  5. Kevin Cabral

Yeah I did something like that. Kept turning until it stopped. Then gave it a tiny little nudge to make sure it's snug. I figured to use my index and thumb to tighten the screws down. So I don't torque it down. There was a few youtube videos of people tightening it down and using their full hand to tighten down. I'd be worried for excessive torquing.

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

It's fine to use your full hand, but you just need it to be snug. Don't forget you're driving the screw into plastic. It'll crack and/or put unnecessary stress on the shell if you overdo it.

Kevin Cabral likes this.